These very berry vegan cupcakes don’t just look gorgeous, they’re simple to make and taste berrylicious too!
Very berry vegan cupcakes
- 240g self-raising flour
- 220g caster sugar
- 5 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 225 ml almond milk
- 190g fresh strawberry purée
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g dairy-free margarine
- 300g icing sugar
- 50g fresh strawberry purée
- Fresh strawberries for decoration
- Multi-coloured sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes and line a cupcake tin with 16 large cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, blend the strawberry purée, oil, almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the strawberry mixture onto the dry ingredients and use an electric whisk to combine until the batter is smooth.
- Fill 16 cupcake liners two-thirds full with the batter and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Set aside and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the sumptuous strawberry icing place the margarine in a large mixing bowl and sift in the icing sugar in stages, whisking well to ensure the icing is fluffy and smooth. Add the pureed strawberries to the mixture.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, spread or pipe the icing onto the cakes and decorate with multi-coloured sprinkles and a fresh strawberry. The fresh strawberries in the decadently fruity icing means it’s best to ice the cakes immediately before serving.
This article contains affiliate links.
About Cupcake Day 2018
Dementia is set to be the 21st century’s biggest killer and affect 1 million by 2021. Each cupcake sold this Cupcake Day will help Alzheimer’s Society find a cure, improve care and offer help and understanding for people affected.
Whether you choose to celebrate on 14 June or mark the occasion another time in the month, there are no excuses not to get involved. Dust off your baking bowls, whip out your whisks and unite against dementia by signing up for Cupcake Day: cupcakeday.org.uk