These very berry vegan cupcakes don’t just look gorgeous, they’re simple to make and taste berrylicious too!
Very berry vegan cupcakes
- 240g self-raising flour
- 220g caster sugar
- 5 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 225 ml almond milk
- 190g fresh strawberry purée
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g dairy-free margarine
- 300g icing sugar
- 50g fresh strawberry purée
- Fresh strawberries for decoration
- Multi-coloured sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C for 15 minutes and line a cupcake tin with 16 large cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, blend the strawberry purée, oil, almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour the strawberry mixture onto the dry ingredients and use an electric whisk to combine until the batter is smooth.
- Fill 16 cupcake liners two-thirds full with the batter and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Set aside and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the sumptuous strawberry icing place the margarine in a large mixing bowl and sift in the icing sugar in stages, whisking well to ensure the icing is fluffy and smooth. Add the pureed strawberries to the mixture.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, spread or pipe the icing onto the cakes and decorate with multi-coloured sprinkles and a fresh strawberry. The fresh strawberries in the decadently fruity icing means it’s best to ice the cakes immediately before serving.