Perfect as a side dish, or as a component to an easy comforting meal. These baked zucchini taste a little like an Italian pizza with the delicious marinara sauce, basil and cashew ‘parmesan’, but are vegan and dairy and gluten-free.
By Saskia Gregson-Williams (www.naturallysassy.co.uk)
Serves 4 | Prep 5 mins | Cook 35 mins |
- 2 Large zucchinis (courgettes), halved length-ways
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced oregano
- 4 tabslespoons minced basil (plus extra to garnish)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Red onion, minced
- A dozen button mushrooms, pealed and sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Slice your zucchinis and place on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive or avocado oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce by first adding the onions, pepper and mushrooms to a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, sauté until well cooked – then add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer for around 3 minutes.
- For the ‘parmesan’ process the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Once the zucchini has baked, remove from the oven, spread with sauce and scatter with 1/4 of the Parmesan on each half.
- Put back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes (or until Parmesan starts to brown).
Love courgettes? Check out some of our favourite vegan courgette recipes