Vegan Umami Paste
Add a kick to any dish with this easy-to-make Umami paste. Use it next time you make a stir-fry or a Bolognese to give an interesting zing of flavour.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This umami paste will elevate your meals with a burst of savoury flavour.
Made with a blend of sweet, savoury, and tangy ingredients, this this paste adds depth and complexity to soups, stews, marinades, dressings, and more.
It’s sure to become your favourite condiment, and you’ll struggle to find a meal that isn’t improved with a spoonful or two!
It’s also incredibly easy to make – simply blend all the ingredients together in a food processor and store in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
Is it possible to make this recipe without a food processor?
If you don’t have a food processor, you can try using a blender or an immersion blender to blend the ingredients together.
If you don’t have any of these appliances, you can try finely mincing the garlic and olives and mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. This will give a slightly chunky overall texture so it’s not ideal for use in smooth sauces, but it will still add a deeper flavour to most recipes.
What are some dishes that I can use this vegan umami paste in?
You can use this vegan umami paste in a variety of dishes such as stir-fries, marinades, dressings, soups, stews, and even as a spread on sandwiches or wraps.
Why not try out one of the below meal ideas?
• Tofu scramble: Mix a spoonful of the umami paste with some crumbled tofu and sauté with veggies for a flavourful addition to your breakfast.
• Veggie burger: Add a dollop of the paste to your homemade veggie burger mix for an extra depth of flavour.
• Roasted vegetables: Toss your favourite veggies with the umami paste before roasting in the oven for a savoury side dish.
• Pasta sauce: Add a spoon or two to your favourite tomato-based pasta sauce for a richer, more complex flavour.
• Miso soup: Add a spoonful of the umami paste to your miso soup for an extra boost of savoury flavour.
• Pizza sauce: Mix the umami paste into your pizza sauce for a more complex and savoury flavour profile.
• Stir-fried noodles: Toss your favourite noodles with some veggies and the umami paste for a quick and flavourful meal.
• Salad dressing: Create a zesty dressing by thinning the paste with vinegar, lemon juice, or even water, then drizzle over your favourite salad or buddha bowl.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1 tbsp miso paste
- 0.5 0.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 6 black olives
- 1 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Nutritional information per 100g: Calories 303, Fat 23g, Saturates 3.2g, Carbohydrate 19g, Sugars 13g, Fibre 3g, Protein 6.4g, Salt 4.9g
Use a spoonful of your Umami Paste to add an extra dimension of flavour to this satisfying King Oyster Mushroom Risotto!