Vegan Tomato And Fennel Gazpacho
This cool vegan gazpacho is refreshing and wholesome. The sweetness from the fennel really brings out the bright flavours of the tomato in this summer soup.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This vegan gazpacho is so refreshing for a hot summer’s day. With a bright, sweet and sour flavour, this soup makes a great starter or snack to cool down with.
Make this vegan gazpacho ahead of time to give it plenty of time to cool down. Serve it in a chilled glass for an extra frosty treat.
What is gazpacho?
Gazpacho is a cold soup, widely eaten in Spain and Portugal. It’s particularly popular during hot summers as it makes a cool and refreshing drink or snack.
It’s often served on its own as a drink in a glass, but can also be part of a meal, and is poured over a dish of chopped tomatoes, peppers, and microgreens.
Gazpacho is commonly made from raw, blended vegetables including tomatoes, cucumber, and pepper. Many recipes also include bread, as this gives the soup a thicker, creamier consistency.
Why use fennel?
Fennel has a mild aniseed flavour which becomes sweeter when cooked. This flavour works well with the tangy tomato and zesty lemon juice to really make tomatoes the star of this vegan gazpacho soup.
It also makes a super healthy addition to this soup, as fennel is a great source if vitamins including vitamin A and vitamin C.
Prep Time: 35 minutes, plus time to chill
- 1 1 large beef tomatoes
- 0.25 0.25 medium sized fennel bulb
- 0.5 0.5 small cloves garlic
- 0.125 0.125 white onion
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp olive oil
- 37.5 37.5 ml bouillon or stock
- 0.25 0.25 level tsp coriander seeds
- 0.125 0.125 tsp fennel seeds
- 0.25 0.25 large pinch sea salt flakes
- 0.25 0.25 pinch Italian mixed herbs
- 0.25 0.25 small lemon, juice and zest
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp tomato purée
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 0.25 0.25 small bunch fresh basil leaves
- 0.25 0.25 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, stalks removed
- Prick the tops of the tomatoes with a knife and place in a bowl of boiling water for a minute then drain. Remove the skins.
- Core and deseed the tomatoes and roughly chop the flesh.
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Slice the fennel – reserving some of the tops for decoration.
- Finely crush the coriander, fennel seeds, salt, black pepper and mixed herbs in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato puree and the crushed spice mix and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add, lemon juice and zest and the balsamic vinegar, stir through and simmer for another five minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Finely chop the basil and parsley, add to the soup and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Serve chilled, topped with some fresh fennel fronds.
Nutritional information per 100g: Calories 35 Fat 1.6g Saturates 0.2g Carbohydrates 3.6g Sugars 3.3g Protein 0.8g Salt 0.42g
Still feeling hot? Cool down with this Orange, Carrot, and Ginger Sorbet!