Tofu Pizza Pockets
We enjoy pizza in all it’s forms if we’re being honest! The combination of basil, tomato sauce, cheese and carbs is very hard to beat! Now we have a new way to get our pizza fix with these tasty vegan tofu pizza pockets stuffed with tofu, vegan cheese and pizza sauce all wrapped up in a toasted burrito.
- 100 100 g extra firm tofu
- Spray olive oil
- 0.125 0.125 tsp onion powder, divided
- 0.125 0.125 tsp salt, divided
- 21.25 21.25 g vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1 burrito size tortillas
- 28 28 g pizza sauce (more for dipping)
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Open and drain the block of extra firm tofu. Wrap tofu in a tea towel and gently press to remove excess water.
- Slice tofu by placing a hand on top of tofu (large face) and slice in equal halves by running your knife through the middle to create two equal slices (approx. 5.75” x 4.5” x 1”). Repeat this step to each half, using the same slicing method to create four equal pieces size 5.75” x 4.5” x .5”.
- Turn oven broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and spray with olive oil.
- Place tofu slices on a baking sheet. Sprinkle slices with ¼ tsp onion powder, and ¼ tsp salt. (Evenly distribute spices among all 4 slices). Place under broiler for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Carefully flip tofu slices. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp onion powder and ¼ tsp salt. Place under broiler for another 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese on top of each tofu slice. Place back under the broiler until cheese has melted. (Keep an eye on them!). Remove from oven and turn off broiler.
- On a flat work surface, lay out one burrito size tortilla. Add 2 Tbsp pizza sauce at the base of the tortilla and spread the sauce out to approximately the same size and shape as the tofu slice. Sprinkle ½ Tbsp chopped basil on top of the pizza sauce square.
- Place tofu slice on top of pizza sauce. Fold the left edge of tortillas inwards, adhering it to the cheese. Fold the edge closest to you inward towards the cheese. Next, fold the right edge inwards adhering to the cheese. Fold tofu away from you to complete the pocket/ envelope shape. Repeat this folding process until all tortillas and tofu have been turned into Tofu Pizza Pockets.
- In a large skillet over high heat carefully grill Tofu Pizza Pockets on each side, starting with the face with the opening flap. Grill to desired crispiness. You can also use a panini press.
- Serve hot with extra pizza sauce for dipping.
Tip: Make sure you use BIG burrito tortillas if they are too small the tortilla won’t fully wrap around the tofu and it will be a mess, but it will still taste good!