Tofu Egg Salad
Plant-based eatery by Chloe. has teamed up with vegan chef, cookbook author and founder of Rainbow Plant Life to create this delicious tofu egg salad recipe. Packed with protein-rich and antioxidant ingredients including tofu, sweet pickle relish, turmeric and sweet paprika, it can be enjoyed on its own or as a delicious sandwich filling.
- 0.5 0.5 400g block firm tofu, drained
- 2.5 2.5 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 1 tsp sweet pickle relish
- 1.5 1.5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 0.25 0.25 tsp kala namak/black salt (optional, but adds that classic eggy flavour)
- 0.125 0.125 tsp turmeric
- 0.125 0.125 tsp sweet paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1.5 1.5 Tbsp roughly chopped green onions (light green and white parts only)
- 0.125 0.125 cup tightly packed fresh dill leaves, roughly chopped
- Prepare the tofu. Drain the tofu and place it on a cutting board. Cover with several layers of paper towels, and weigh it down with a heavy cookbook. Press the tofu for at least 20 minutes to drain the water. Slice the tofu into four slabs, then slice each slab into 8 sliver. Cut each sliver into 12 to 14 very small pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vegan mayo, relish, nutritional yeast, mustard, kala namak, turmeric, sweet paprika, and black pepper to taste.
- In a food processor, pulse together the capers, green onions, and dill until mixed up but still chunky. Or, use a knife to chop the ingredients together.
- Make the egg salad. Add the tofu cubes and the caper-green onion-dill mixture to the mayo dressing. Stir gently to coat all the tofu pieces. Taste for seasonings, adding a pinch of salt and black pepper as needed. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!