Vegan Teriyaki-Glazed King Oyster Mushrooms with Sticky Rice
Sweet and succulent teriyaki-glazed mushrooms on a bed of sticky rice make for a quick and easy vegan dinner idea
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This vegan teriyaki mushroom dish is rich in flavour; there’s saltiness from the soy sauce and sweetness from the maple syrup and brown sugar, which compliments the umami taste of the mushrooms.
This dish will go perfectly with a side of stir-fried vegetables.
What is teriyaki made of?
Teriyaki is a traditional Japanese sauce which combines soy sauce, mirin, sugar and sake, but to appeal to a Western palate, ginger and garlic are often added, which it is in this recipe.
Some of the sugar has also been swapped out for maple syrup to create a richer flavour and thicker texture, and cornflour has been added to thicken the sauce too.
Sweet, savoury, umami, this sauce has all the flavours you need for a true taste explosion.
How to make sticky rice
In order to make sticky rice, you need to start with a glutinous type of rice, and the most common of these is jasmine rice. Long grain or basmati won’t work in the same way.
To give your rice an even softer texture, soak it overnight, then follow the cooking instructions below.
Once the rice is cooked, serve it as quickly as possible as it goes harder as it cools and the longer it’s exposed to air, the more it will dry out.
If you do need to wait a few minutes before serving, cover the rice with a damp piece of kitchen towel or greaseproof paper to try to maintain the moisture levels.
Sticky rice doesn’t store well, so use on the day you make it and don’t reheat leftovers.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the Teriyaki mushrooms
- 75 75 ml water
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 0.25 0.25 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1 King Oyster mushrooms, sliced lengthways
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp cornflour
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, puréed
- 0.5 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 15 15 g soft brown sugar
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the sticky rice
- 100 100 g jasmine rice
- 240 240 ml water
- a pinch of sea salt
- Firstly, to make the teriyaki glaze, add water, cornflour, maple syrup, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, lemon juice and sugar to a small saucepan.
- Boil for 1-2 minutes, continuously whisking, until it has thickened.
- Next, for the sticky rice. Wash the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- In a medium-sized pan add the rice, water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
- To cook the mushrooms, score the slices diagonally in both directions on both sides with a knife – this will help them hold the sauce.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, and then cook the mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Turn the heat to low, then add the teriyaki glaze to the pan and simmer for 1 minute.
- Serve on a bed of the sticky rice, and enjoy!
Each 301g serving provides:
4.2g Fat, 0.5g Saturates, 115g Carbohydrate, 23g Sugars, 5g Fibre, 14g Protein, 2.8g Salt.
Need dinner in a hurry? Discover these quick and easy vegan meal ideas!