Vegan Temaki with Hoisin Carrots
Find out how to roll your very own vegan temaki rolls and fill them with some flavourful hoisin-infused carrot for an incredible taste sensation.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Temaki, also known as hand rolls, are simple sushi to make once you get the hang of it. The cooked-down carrot makes a great alternative to pulled vegan meat, and carrot goes perfectly with the hoisin sauce.
What is mirin?
Mirin is a type of rice wine that’s very popular in Japanese cooking.
It’s similar to sake, but has a higher sugar content and a lower alcohol content. The sweetness of the sauce balances perfectly with slightly saltier flavours such as hoisin and soy.
What is nori?
Nori is the Japanese name given to edible seaweed that has usually been dried.
Nori is loaded with vitamin B, iodine, unsaturated fatty acids, amino acids and anti-carcinogen.
It is primarily used to wrap sushi, but now it is making its way into many different dishes and is even being used as an alternative to crisps.
With its ‘fishy’ taste, it lends itself well to being used as a fish alternative in dishes.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 25 25 g sushi rice
- 100 100 ml water
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tbsp mirin
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 carrots, shredded
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 0.5 0.5 sheets of nori
- 1/4 of a cucumber, julienned
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 spring onion, finely shredded
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 red pepper
- Firstly for the sushi rice, add the rice and water to a saucepan and bring it to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes whilst stirring occasionally, until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Mix in the mirin, then spread the rice onto a tray to cool down.
- For the hoisin carrot, heat the sesame oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add the Chinese 5 spice and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes until the carrots begin to soften. Then add the hoisin sauce and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, until the sauce reduces and thickens and becomes sticky. Allow cooling.
- To make the temaki, cut a sheet of nori in half horizontally making two rectangles. Take one rectangle of nori, then split the rice into six equal portions and with one portion make a square of rice covering the left half of the nori sheet. Place some of the carrot mix, spring onions, cucumber and red pepper diagonally on the square of rice from top left to bottom right. Then brush a little water on the right side of the nori sheet, fold the bottom left corner of the rice up to the top right corner of the rice forming a cone, and wrap the remaining nori around the cone to seal it. Repeat this with the remaining ingredients.
Each 90g serving provides:
Fat 0.8g, Saturates 0.1g, Carbohydrate 26g, Sugars 3.6g, Fibre 2g, Protein 2.5g, Salt 0.27g
Get ready to roll with this easy vegan sushi recipe!