Vegan Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Samphire & Lemon
Enjoy a comforting bowl of vegan sweet potato gnocchi with this simple yet flavourful recipe. Gnocchi is easy and cheap to make. The saltiness of the samphire pairs well with the sweetness of the gnocchi and the acidity of the butter, giving this dish a great balance of flavour.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This sweet potato gnocchi is sweet and flavoursome, combining salty samphire with a sweet potato base.
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi is an Italian potato dumpling dish.
Gnocchi is made of dough, which usually consists of flour, egg and potato. In this dish, we are using sweet potato alongside nutritional yeast and flour to create the gnocchi dough.
This dish is often served with a sauce, in a similar way to pasta. Popular varieties are tomato and basil, green pesto or butter-based sauces.
In the recipe below, we’re using a dairy-free butter with lemon juice, parsley and chilli flakes to coat the gnocchi.
Benefits of sweet potato
Sweet potato is a very nutritional root vegetable.
It’s full of fibre, vitamins and minerals so it’s a healthy addition to anyone’s diet.
The antioxidants and fibre are beneficial to gut health, so sweet potatoes are often eaten by those on a ‘detox’ diet.
What is nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, usually available as flakes or powder.
It’s free from gluten, soy and sugar, which makes it a healthy alternative for anyone with a sensitive diet.
It has a cheesy flavour so it’s perfect for replicating cheeses like grated parmesan in vegan recipes and can be sprinkled on top of dishes like pasta, soups and salads.
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- For the gnocchi
- 200 200 g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 0.66666666666667 0.66666666666667 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tsp dried sage
- 75 75 g plain flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To finish
- 0.66666666666667 0.66666666666667 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 33.333333333333 33.333333333333 g samphire
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- a handful of fresh parsley
- To make the gnocchi, add the sweet potato to a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, drain and mash them.
- Add the sweet potato, nutritional yeast and sage to a bowl, mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the flour and mix well until a dough is formed.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a 1cm-thick sausage and cut it into 2-3cm pieces. Roll each piece over the back of a fork to shape.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the gnocchi, and allow them to boil for 1-2 minutes or until they float, before removing them from the pan and draining.
- Add the dairy-free butter to a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the gnocchi and samphire, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the samphire is cooked and the gnocchi starts to brown.
- Add the lemon juice, chilli flakes and parsley, and cook for a further 1-2 minutes before serving.
Each 357g serving provides:
8.2g Fat, 1.7g Saturates, 103g Carbohydrate, 10g Sugar, 10g Fibre, 13g Protein, 1.2g Salt.
Are you still feeling hungry? Check out some of our best vegan pasta dishes!