These vegan sweet potato cakes are straight forward to make, and make the perfect mid week supper when fussing in the kitchen for hours is the last thing you want! Not only that, by combining sweet potato in with chickpeas, you have the perfect balance of complex carbs and plant-based protein. Plus, by adding a pile of smashed avocado on top, you’ve get in that quality fat source too.
Vegan sweet potato cakes
Recipe by Megan Hallet (www.plantbasedlondoner.com)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1.5 tbsp of tahini
- 1 tbsp of Cajun spice mix
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 ripe avocado
- A squeeze of fresh lime
- Start by steaming the sweet potatoes for around 10 minutes, or until soft and completely mashable.
- Whilst you’re steaming the sweet potatoes, place the chickpeas, tahini and Cajun spice into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Combine this mix with the sweet potatoes once cooked and mash everything together until smooth. Add the fresh coriander and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Make patties in your hands and place into a hot pan with a little olive oil, allow to brown on each side before placing into the oven (on around 180) for a final 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, assemble on a bed of salad leaves, stacked up on top of each other with the smashed avocado on top. Squeeze over a touch of lime juice for a light, zesty finish. Perfect food for summer entertaining.
This article contains affiliate links.
About the author
Nutrition coach in training, blogger at The Plant Based Londoner, recipe developer and avid nut butter addict, Megan is considers herself the ultimate healthy foodie. You’ll find her in the kitchen, cooking up nutritious yet oh so indulgent plant-based goodies.