Vegan Sweet Potato & Black Bean Curry
This Caribbean-inspired vegan sweet potato & black bean curry recipe will have your Friday night curry covered.
The sweet potato and black beans give this dish a good balance of carbohydrates and protein, and the jerk spice gives it a tropical kick.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
What are the health benefits of eating sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are packed with fibre and are an antioxidant. Fibre can help maintain and boost gut health, it can also help lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even bowel cancer.
Additionally, sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamin A, research suggests that just one sweet potato can provide 400% of your recommended daily vitamin A levels.
Keeping the skin on your sweet potato is a crucial way to keep the essential nutrients in all of your vegan sweet potato recipes.
Are sweet potatoes actually healthier than white potatoes?
People often think that sweet potatoes are healthier than regular white potatoes, this is often down to the variation in calories, protein, and carbohydrates. The truth is both types offer essential nutrients and vitamins.
White potatoes offer higher levels of potassium compared to sweet potatoes, however sweet potato provides higher levels of vitamins A.
Are black beans a good source of protein?
Similar to other legumes, black beans are a good plant-based protein and fibre source.
Just one cup of black beans equates to 16 grams of proteins and 15 grams of fibre.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp coconut oil
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 0.25 0.25 red pepper, chopped
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp jerk sauce
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 0.25 0.25 tin chopped tomatoes
- 0.25 0.25 tin black beans, drained
- 0.25 0.25 onion, finely chopped
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 0.25 0.25 lime, juiced
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 60 60 ml vegetable stock
- 0.5 0.5 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Add the coconut oil to a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, ginger, garlic, red pepper, and red chilli, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the jerk sauce and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, soy sauce, vegan Worchestershire sauce, tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the sweet potato then cover and leave to simmer for §15 minutes.
- Add the black beans and cook for 10-15 minutes until the sweet potato is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over a rice of your choice and enjoy!
Each 363g serving provides:
4.7g Fat, 3g Saturates, 56g Carbohydrates, 14g Sugars, 14g Fibre, 13g Protein, 3.1g Salt.
Ready to spice up your life? Take a look at our best vegan curry recipes!