Vegan Steak & Ale Pie
This hearty vegan steak and ale pie recipe is perfect comfort food for a Sunday lunchtime when you fancy something traditional with a vegan twist.
The addition of Oumph! The Chunk gives this pie and convincingly meaty texture for those looking to replicate the tastes and textures of a steak and ale pie.
- 280 280 g Oumph! The Chunk
- 7 7 chestnut mushrooms
- 2 2 white onions
- 2 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1 carrot
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 1 Tbsp tomato purée
- 1 1 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 1 Tbsp muscovado sugar
- 50 50 g plant-based margarine
- 2 2 Tbsp wheat flour
- 3 3 Tbsp plant-based broth
- 100 100 g fresh, chopped parsley
- 500 500 ml ale
- 2 2 packs ready rolled plant-based puff pastry
- A little soya or other plant milk mixed with a drop of dark soya sauce (to brush the bowl with)
- Defrost Oumph! The Chunk.
- Start by chopping the mushrooms into small cubes. Fry it in margarine until it takes on a lovely colour. Put aside for later.
- Peel and cut the carrots into small cubes, chop the onions into smaller pieces, slice the garlic. Fry in margarine on a low heat for approx. 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease the pie dish and cover the bottom and the edges with the pastry. Save some pastry for the lid.
- Then add the tomato puree, flour and chopped thyme and fry it while stirring for a few minutes. Add the ale, broth, sugar, soya sauce and Oumph! The Chunk. Simmer until the sauce has thickened almost completely – approx. 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and the chopped parsley.
- Fill the pie dish with the Oumph! mixture all the way to the top. Cover with the pastry top, cut off any excess pastry and crimp the edges. Make slits in the lid so steam can escape and brush with the plant-based milk and soya sauce mixture.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven on 200 C (gas mark 6) for approx. 20 – 30 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad. Enjoy!