Griddled Asparagus and Freekeh Salad with a Green Herb Dressing
This asparagus and freekeh salad is fresh and light and makes a filling lunch or a wholesome side dish.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This asparagus and freekeh salad is great for a light but filling lunch, or works well as a side dish for a variety of different meals.
The griddled asparagus adds a satisfying fresh crunch to the meal, while the ancient grains provide plenty of protein and carbohydrate to keep you full all afternoon.
To serve this vegan salad as a side dish, just halve the portions below.
What are ancient grains?
Ancient grains, like freekeh, are loosely defined as grains that have remained mostly unchanged over the last few centuries. However, most wholegrains could really be described as ‘ancient’, as they’ve been around in some form for thousands of years.
Along with on-trend grains like quinoa and freekeh, ancient grains also include amaranth, millet, kamut, sorghum, teff, farro, and spelt.
The health benefits of each varies from grain to grain, but most are a great source of fibre, and many can be a good source of protein too!
What are the benefits of eating asparagus?
Asparagus is great for your health, and is a source of nutrients including vitamin A, Vitamin C, and folate. It’s also a high fibre food, so it can aid digestive health.
There are some people who even believe that asparagus can cure a hangover, due to its minerals, enzymes, and amino acid content!
Total Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 25 25 g freekeh
- 0.25 0.25 tsp bouillon powder
- 125 125 ml fresh water
- 37.5 37.5 g fine asparagus, trimmed
- For the green herb dressing
- 15 15 ml olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 clove garlic, peeled
- 0.25 0.25 small bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the freekeh in cold water and place in a pan with the bouillon, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat and add the asparagus. Drizzle with a little oil and season. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until just tender and lightly charred.
- While the asparagus is cooking, add all the dressing ingredients to a blender and process until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Assemble the salad, either warm or cold, by topping the freekeh with the asparagus and drizzling over the dressing.
Nutritional information per 100g: Calories 284, Fat 19g, Saturates 2.8g, Carbohydrates 19g, Sugars 1.1g, Protein 5.7g, Salt 0.94g
Serve your freekeh salad as a side dish with these easy vegan falafels.