Spiced Festive Wreath
This beautifully spiced festive vegan wreath is absolutely bursting at the seams with a delicious filling of vegan mince, veggies, herbs and spices.
Total Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 0.125 0.125 Meatless Farm meat-free mince
- 0.125 0.125 butternut squash, finely diced into 1cm cubes
- 0.25 0.25 pack of chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 0.25 0.25 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 0.25 0.25 red onion, chopped
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, minced
- 0.25 0.25 bay leaf
- 0.25 0.25 cinnamon stick
- 0.125 0.125 tsp nutmeg
- 0.125 0.125 tsp chilli powder
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp ground clove
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp soy milk (for glazing)
- 37.5 37.5 g vegan blue cheese (or cheese of your choice), crumbled
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, clove and nutmeg, stir for 30 seconds then add the chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic. Fry until soft and then set aside.
- On a baking tray, place the butternut squash, lightly brush with vegetable oil, then sprinkle over the chilli powder. Add a bay leaf and cinnamon stick and roast in the oven at 180C until the squash is soft and caramelised (approx. 20 mins).
- In a large mixing bowl mix the mince with the onion and mushroom mixture. Add the butternut squash (remembering to remove the whole cinnamon sticks and bay leaves).
- Gently combine the ingredients until well mixed.
- Take your sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry and place it on a piece of grease-proof paper. Place an up-turned plate on top. (The plate should be as big as the narrowest dimension of the pastry). Cut around the plate with a knife and discard the off cuts.
- Remove the plate. Using an upturned glass, gently press into the centre of the circle, taking care not to go all the way through.
- Using a sharp knife, cut from the middle to the edge of the inner circle. You should make 4 cuts to give you 8 segments.
- Layer your mixture around the outer ring, leaving around 1cm to the outer edge. Top the mince mixture with crumbled vegan cheese.
- On the underside of the 1cm outer edge, brush on the soy milk around the full circle – this will help the pastry stick to each other in the next step.
- Carefully lift one of the segments of the inner circle up and over the filling, while also bringing the outer edge to meet. Gently press the two pieces of pastry together to create a wrapping over the filling. Repeat around the wreath with the other 7 segments.
- Place the wreath on its grease-proof paper on a baking tray and then into a pre-heated oven at 180C for approx. 30 mins, until golden brown, checking on it occasionally.
This article contains affiliate links.