Vegan Smoked Tofu BLT Sandwich
With crisp, smoky tofu slices this vegan BLT is a great dupe for the classic sandwich
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This vegan BLT is a plant-based version of a lunchtime classic!
Crispy fried slices of smoked tofu make a great alternative to bacon, and the salty, smoky marinade contrasts beautifully with the fresh lettuce and tomato and the creamy vegan mayonnaise.
Why not elevate your lunchtime treat further by adding slices of ripe avocado to your sandwich?
What is smoked tofu?
Smoked tofu is, simply, tofu that has been smoked. It’s often made by smoking extra firm tofu in tea leaves.
This gives the tofu a slightly darker colour than regular tofu, and it comes out really dense and firm making it perfect for cutting into thin slices to make vegan bacon.
It can usually be eaten straight from the packet, without the need to press or cook, but griddling it as described in this vegan BLT recipe gives the tofu a wonderful chewy texture with a crispy outside that complements this sandwich perfectly.
What is a vegan BLT?
The ‘BLT’ in BLT sandwich stands for bacon, lettuce, and tomato. The lettuce and tomato are easy, but the bacon needs to be substituted to make this sandwich vegan.
There are lots of options, from ready-made plant-based meat alternatives you can buy in the shop, to options you can make from scratch from ingredients like tempeh, mushroom, or even carrot.
Most BLT sandwiches are made with mayonnaise to add moisture and flavour, and this needs to be swapped to a vegan version too. We’ve used a store bought vegan mayo for this version, but you could also make your own using oil, apple cider vinegar, and aquafaba.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- For the tofu bacon
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp mild oil
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp liquid smoke
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp soy sauce
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp maple syrup
- 0.5 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- black pepper, to taste
- 56.25 56.25 g smoked tofu, drained
- To serve
- 2 2 slices fresh, crusty bread
- 0.5 0.5 large tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce leaves
- vegan mayonnaise
- Place all the bacon ingredients, except the tofu, into a wide shallow dish and mix together well. Thinly slice the tofu into rashers and coat in the marinade. Leave for 30 minutes for the tofu to absorb the flavours.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot and add the tofu. Cook for a few minutes on each side, or until lightly charred and chewy.
- Assemble the sandwiches by layering up all the ingredients on the sliced bread. Serve warm or cold.
Nutritional information per 100g:Calories 219, Fat 14g, Saturates 2.0g, Carbohydrates 5.5g, Sugars 3.4g, Protein 17g, Salt 2.3g
Looking for more lunch ideas? Try one of these vegan lunch recipes that will keep you full until dinner!