This classic dish gets a vegan makeover in the form of a hearty and easy vegan Shepherd’s pie, topped with fluffy potato mash and filled with seasonal veggies.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- 500g potatoes
- 100g green peas
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chilies
- 2 leeks
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 100g carrots
- 150g mushrooms
- 50ml maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp of plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Sprig of fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 200ml water
- Cut the potatoes into smaller cubes and boil for around 20-30 minutes until soft.
- Mash the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add some of the boiling water to help make the mash silky.
- Set aside and start cooking the delicious vegetable stew that goes underneath.
- Start by frying the onions, garlic, and leeks for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms and the red chilies, and season with all of the herbs.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and then add the chopped tomatoes, flour, 200 ml of water and the maple syrup.
- Lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes until it thickens.
- Transfer the stew to a baking tray and cover with the potato mash.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the crust forms on top and it’s golden brown.