Red Velvet Cupcakes
These vegan red velvet cupcakes get their vibrant colour not from food dyes but from natural beetroot juice. They also use a healthier alternative to sugar, coconut sugar, to sweeten them so are ideal for those looking to tame their sweet tooth or cut down on their refined sugar intake.
- For the cake:
- 60 60 g plant-based butter
- 125 125 g vegan chocolate chips
- 60 60 ml beetroot juice
- 2 2 flax ‘eggs’, at room temperature
- 60 60 g The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Sugar
- 96 96 g almond flour
- 64 64 g cocoa powder
- 85 85 g The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Flour
- 1 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 1 pinch sea salt
- For the icing:
- 133 133 ml vegan cream cheese, softened
- 133 133 ml plant-based butter, softened
- 1 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 88 88 ml The Groovy Food Company Light & Mild Agave Nectar
- Preheat the oven to 165°C.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave on high power for 30 second increments.
- Whisk the beet juice and flax eggs in a large bowl and add the sugar. Beat well
- Add in the melted butter and chocolate.
- Mix in the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Evenly divide the batter between 12 lined muffin cups in a muffin tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- For the icing, mix together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and agave.
- Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Ice the cupcakes as desired and serve.