Vegan Pulled Jackfruit & Coleslaw Sandwich
This vegan pulled jackfruit and coleslaw sandwich can be enjoyed either hot or cold, depending on how you like your lunch!
The sweet and smoky BBQ flavours in the pulled jackfruit pair wonderfully with the creamy coleslaw.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Is Worcestershire sauce vegan?
It might not be expected, but regular Worcestershire sauce is not vegan. The condiment contains traces of anchovies.
Thankfully, you can find vegan Worcestershire sauce online and in whole food shops.
If you can’t find any vegan Worcestershire sauce, there are plenty of alternatives that can be made at home with a few simple ingredients.
Soy sauce makes a great base for your sauce, adding ingredients like ketchup, apple cider vinegar, or apple juice can give the sauce depth of flavour and tang.
What is liquid smoke?
Liquid smoke is made from burning wood like chicory, the smoke and steam are condensed and turned into a concentrated smoky liquid.
After being filtered and distilled, you are left with the liquid smoke.
Many people question if liquid smoke is safe, but it is perfectly safe. In fact, it is safer to use liquid smoke than to cook with actual smoke as the carcinogenic pathogens have already been distilled.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- For the coleslaw
- 1 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 0.5 0.5 carrots, peeled and schredded
- 50 50 g red cabbage, shredded
- 0.25 0.25 red onion, shredded
- For the BBQ jackfruit
- 0.25 0.25 tsp vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 onion, diced
- 0.25 0.25 tsp garlic salt
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp smoked paprika
- 0.25 0.25 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 0.5 tins jackfruit, drained
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 0.25 0.25 tsp liquid smoke
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp tomato purée
- 30 30 ml vegetable stock
- To serve
- 2 2 slices bread
- lettuce leaves
- To make the coleslaw, add the mayo, carrots, cabbage and onion to a bowl and mix together, season to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion, garlic salt, paprika and cumin for 3-4 minutes. Add the jackfruit, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup and tomato purée and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Use a fork to mash the jackfruit down to a pulled consistency.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock, and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich filler using your favourite bread, with lettuce, or your choice of extra fillings.
Each 522g serving provides:
15g Fat, 1.5g Saturates, 93g Carbohydrate, 56g Sugars, 10g Fibre, 11g Protein, 2.3g Salt.
Discover even more filling vegan sandwich recipes!