Vegan Pulled BBQ King Oyster Mushroom Tacos
These pulled vegan oyster mushroom tacos in a smoky and sticky BBQ sauce replicate traditional pulled pork tacos brilliantly. The pickled cabbage helps to cut through the smokiness of the BBQ.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
The following vegan taco recipe is a vegan version of pulled pork tacos, ideal for Taco Tuesday. With a tangy BBQ sauce, the soft mushroom filling is perfect when paired with the crispy taco shells.
Why use king oyster mushrooms?
The king oyster mushroom is the largest type of oyster mushroom.
They have a meaty texture, which means they’re great at replicating the meaty texture of pulled pork in this vegan mushroom recipe, which is a common taco filling.
The whole of the mushroom can be used in cooking because the stalk isn’t tough, and they’re great at soaking up the smoky BBQ flavour from the worcestershire sauce and the liquid smoke.
What is liquid smoke?
Liquid smoke is a liquid usually used to season.
It adds a smoky, BBQ flavour to recipes so it’s perfect for seasoning the pulled mushrooms in this recipe.
The product is made from the condensed smoke of burning wood. When wood is burnt, it forms a vapour which can be condensed into a liquid through a cooling tube. This is what gives us that smoky flavour.
How to serve Pulled BBQ King Oyster Mushroom Tacos
These tacos can be served on their own as a light and easy dinner, but you could also serve them with some Mexican sides.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- For the pickled red cabbage
- 30 30 ml white wine vinegar
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp caster sugar
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp fennel seeds
- 12.5 12.5 g red cabbage, shredded
- For the pulled mushrooms
- 0.5 0.5 king oyster mushrooms
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp soy sauce
- 15 15 ml passata
- 12.5 12.5 g soft brown sugar
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp liquid smoke
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp smoked paprika
- To serve
- 1 1 crispy taco shells
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- tomato salsa
- Firstly, to make the pickled cabbage, put the vinegar, sugar and fennel seeds in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from the heat, add the red cabbage and leave to cool.
- To make the pulled mushrooms, hold the whole mushroom in the palm of your hand and scrape down the stalk of the mushroom with a fork to shred it, creating the ‘pulled’ texture.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the pulled mushrooms, fry for 1-2 minutes, and then add the soy sauce and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the passata, soft brown sugar, Worcester sauce, liquid smoke and smoked paprika to the mushrooms.
- Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken and go sticky.
- To serve, fill the taco shells with the lettuce and pulled mushrooms, and top with guacamole, tomato salsa, and pickled cabbage.
Each 160g serving provides:
2.3g Fat, 0.2g Saturates, 24g Carbohydrates, 18g Sugars, 3g Fibre, 3.8g Protein, 1.1g Salt.
Need dinner in a hurry? Discover these easy vegan meal ideas!