Vegan Prawn Toast
This vegan prawn toast uses tofu and nori to perfectly replicate the flavour of a takeaway classic!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
With a creamy layer of tofu paste on crispy fried bread and a generous sprinkling of sesame seeds, this vegan prawn toast might be better than the real thing!
It’s perfect to serve up as a side or starter when feasting on Chinese food at home, but it’d be just as enjoyable as part of a finger food buffet.
Crumbled nori adds a slight seafood flavour to the tofu, so it replicates the taste of prawn wonderfully.
What is nori?
Nori is a dried edible seaweed which often comes in sheets. While it’s made from red algae, the dried sheets are dark green in colour.
It’s commonly used in Japanese cuisine to wrap sushi rolls or onigiri, but it can also be crumbled or shredded and used to sprinkle over dishes.
Nori is gaining popularity as a seasoning in vegan fish dishes. Although it does not really taste like fish, it has a strong and distinctive ‘sea’ flavour which can help to make foods like tofu or chickpeas to carry more of an umami seafood flavour.
What if I can’t eat sesame?
While sesame can be very good for you, it is a common allergen and many people have to exclude sesame oil and seeds from their diets.
If you or someone you’re cooking for has a sesame allergy, you will need to substitute the oil for one with similar properties. Peanut oils, sunflower oil, and grapeseed oil are all neutral oils that make good substitutes for plain sesame oil.
As for the seeds on top, you can simply leave them off and this recipe will be just as delicious.
If you really want to add a layer of crunch to your vegan prawn toasts, you could try adding a sprinkling of another seed, or of chopped, toasted nuts. The overall flavour will be changed slightly, but you might even discover a new favourite!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 x 280g block extra firm tofu
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 sheet nori, crumbled
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp ground ginger
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tbsp soy sauce
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tbsp sesame oil
- 0.66666666666667 0.66666666666667 spring onions, chopped
- 1 1 slices of bread, cut into 4 triangles
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tbsp sesame seeds
- oil, for frying
- Firstly, add the tofu, nori, ground flaxseed, ground ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and spring onions to a food processor and blend until a thick smooth paste is formed. Then spread the mixture thickly onto the bread.
- Next, cover the bottom of a pan with oil and heat over a medium-high heat, once the oil is hot add a few pieces of the bread at a time and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp on each side, then remove from the oil onto a piece of kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle the tops of the toast with sesame seeds whilst still piping hot and serve with your favourite plant-based Chinese-inspired meal.
Try serving your vegan prawn toast with this sticky orange and ginger stir fry!