Vegan Polenta Cake Recipe with Grilled Asparagus
This herby vegan polenta cake is a perfect mid-week meal for the family. The polenta is cooked then poured over whole asparagus, cooled until it hardened and then grilled to perfection.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
If you like the look of this vegan polenta cake recipe but don’t have all the ingredients to hand, worry not! Here is a handy list of substitutions you can make:
- No asparagus? Use purple sprouting broccoli, mushrooms, mange tout or peas instead.
- No parsley? Use fresh coriander or dill instead.
- No capers? Try with finely chopped cornichons instead.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the polenta cake:
- 50 50 g asparagus
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 40 40 g polenta
- 0.5 0.5 garlic clove, chopped
- 135 135 ml water
- 2 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 2 Tbsp grated vegan parmesan/vegan cheese of your choice
- 15 15 g frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1 1 Tbsp chopped mint
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp chopped capers
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1 tsp lemon juice
- 0.5 0.5 tsp garlic puree
- 1.5 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus – save them in your freezer for making stock or soup. Cut the asparagus in half lengthwise. Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes then remove from the water and set aside.
- Line a small tray or plate with reusable baking paper or cling film. You can also use a good dollop of olive oil instead. Place the asparagus and frozen peas in the centre of the tray.
- Place a saucepan on the heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, polenta and water. Add a generous pinch of both salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring often for 4-5 minutes, until dense and thick. Stir in the parsley and grated cheese/vegan cheese.
- Transfer the polenta to the prepared tray, pouring over the asparagus and peas, trying to create a smooth rectangular shape. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients together, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add 3 tbsp of olive oil and when hot, gently place the polenta cake in the pan. Pan fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with the sauce drizzled all over. Enjoy!
How to store: Store in an airtight container, the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Leftovers: Leftovers can be eaten cold or reheated in the oven at 180 C/160 fan/4 gas mark for 10-15 minutes.
Eating seasonally is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
Find out what’s best to make right now with these delicious vegan spring recipes.