Vegan Plum Frangipane Tart
The sight alone of this scrumptious vegan plum frangipane makes us lick our lips! The homemade pastry is layered with a rich frangipane filling and topped with juicy plums for a sweet and juicy vegan dessert.
The taste and smell of this gorgeous vegan tart will leave your kitchen smelling sweet and fragrant thanks to the almond frangipane filling.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Frangipane is a classic French dessert that consists of a pastry tart with a temptingly sweet ground almond filling.
Our vegan plum frangipane recipe enhances the almond flavour even more with a splash of amaretto for good measure!
The frangipane is tasty and works particularly well with plums, but if apricots are in season, you could use these too. Just make sure the fruit is ripe and juicy so it’s not too tart or firm.
Once the vegan frangipane filling has cooled, you can serve with a spoon of dairy-free cream and enjoy this scrumptious vegan dessert.
If there are any leftovers, pop them in an airtight box for when you need a sweet treat.
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- For the pastry:
- vegan egg replacer, equivalent to 2 eggs
- 15 15 grams plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 3 grams icing sugar
- 0.15 0.15 tsp xanthan gum
- 8.5 8.5 grams vegan margarine
- pinch of salt
- For the vegan frangipane filling:
- vegan egg replacer, equivalent to 3 eggs
- 11.5 11.5 grams vegan margarine
- 11.5 11.5 grams caster sugar
- 0.1 0.1 tbsp vegan amaretto
- 0.1 0.1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.2 0.2 tbsp plain flour
- 8.5 8.5 grams ground almonds
- For the topping:
- 17.5 17.5 grams unwaxed apricot jam
- 40 40 grams unwaxed red-skinned plums, stoned and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Make up the egg replacers for the pastry and the filling in two small bowls according to the packet instructions and beat them with a fork for a minute until bubbly.
- To make the pastry, put the flour, icing sugar, xanthan gum and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon. Rub in the margarine with your fingertips. Stir in the egg replacer and sufficient cold water to bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and shape it into a firm ball. Roll the pastry out to around 3 mm/1⁄8 inch thick and use it to line a 25-cm/10-inch round, fluted baking tin. Bake the pastry shell for 10 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, cream the margarine, sugar, egg replacer, amaretto and vanilla extract together with a wooden spoon in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the flour and ground almonds.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry shell and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes, or until the top is golden. Set aside to cool and firm.
- Put the apricot jam into a small saucepan with a tablespoon of water. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then pass through a fine sieve and leave to cool a little. Arrange the plums on top of the tart and pour the jam glaze over the top. Leave to cool slightly before serving.
Do you adore sweet vegan pies as much as we do?
Then you’ll love this vegan pecan cranberry pie!