Vegan Pappardelle with Fennel, Courgette & Lemon
This vegan pappardelle pasta recipe is light and summery with the courgette and fennel flavours combined with zesty lemon to create this elegant dish. Pour a glass of (vegan-friendly) white wine and enjoy!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Is pasta vegan?
Maybe people wonder ‘is pasta vegan?‘, and the answer isn’t a definitive yes or no. Traditional pasta is made with eggs which gives it its golden colour.
Most fresh pasta that you’ll find in the chilled or deli isles of supermarkets are likely to contain eggs and therefore not vegan.
Thankfully, the majority of dried pasta is made with a vegan recipe and does not include eggs. We recommend checking the ingredients list to confirm the pasta is vegan-friendly.
What’s the difference between tagliatelle and pappardelle?
The difference between tagliatelle and pappardelle is the size. Pappardelle is a very wide and flat ribbon pasta that originates from Tuscany.
Tagliatelle is slightly smaller than pappardelle and originates from the Marche and Emilia-Romagna regions of Italy.
What is pappardelle pasta used for?
Pappardelle is perfect for thicker and saucier dishes.
Because of its larger surface area, the sauce clings to the pasta so you want to make sure there is enough sauce in the dish to coat the pasta and that it is not dry.
Are courgettes one of your favourite ingredients to cook with? Check out a selection of other delicious vegan courgette recipes.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 2 shallots, sliced
- 120 120 ml soya cream
- 1 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 100 100 g wholewheat pappardelle pasta
- 0.5 0.5 large bulb fennel, trimmed and sliced
- 1 1 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 0.5 0.5 courgette sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 lemon, just the zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Leave to simmer according to the pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the shallots, fennel and garlic with a pinch of salt.
- Cook gently, stirring often, for a few minutes until the fennel has softened.
- Pour in the soya cream and season well with salt and pepper. Allow to bubble for a few minutes.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 60ml (¼ cup) of the cooking water.
- Add the courgette ribbons and the water to the sauce and stir well.
- Allow the courgette to lightly cook for a minute before stirring in the cooked pasta, dill and lemon zest.
- Serve immediately, topped with extra black pepper.
Each 512g serving provides:
27g Fat, 2.6g Saturates, 9.9g Sugars, 0.65g Salt.
Still hungry for more? Discover the best vegan pasta recipes!