Orange and poppy seed scones
These light and fluffy vegan orange and poppy seed scones are elevated with the addition of orange zest and poppy seeds which give them a delicious depth of flavour. Serve with vegan butter or marmalade for a tasty mid-morning snack.
- 53.333333333333 53.333333333333 g self raising flour
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 oranges
- 0.83333333333333 0.83333333333333 g baking powder
- 11.666666666667 11.666666666667 g vegan butter
- 20 20 g caster sugar
- 3.3333333333333 3.3333333333333 g poppy seeds
- 33.333333333333 33.333333333333 g soy milk
- Pre heat your oven to 180oC and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Set the tray aside, grab a mixing bowl and zest the two oranges into the bowl leaving the oranges to use later. Add the baking powder, poppy seeds, sugar and mix together with your fingers.
- Add the self-raising flour to the bowl and evenly mix together. Put a 1litre jug onto your scales with a sieve over the top and zero them with both the jug and sieve on.
- Juice your oranges into the jug through the sieve and add soy milk so the liquid measures out to 140g.
- Add the vegan butter and orange/soy liquid to the bowl and work the dough together with your hands until even.
- Throw some flour onto a work surface and add the scone dough, pressing down so the dough is roughly 2cm thick. Using a 7cm cutter, shape your scones and put onto your baking tray.
- Cook for 15 – 20 minutes turning halfway until the tops are golden in colour.
Matt Jacobs is a dad of 3, Chef and cruelty-free recipe developer who operates under the moniker “The Food Rhino”. He is dedicated to changing the opinions of non-vegans through the medium of food. He is a blogger for Veganuary and is an advocate for The Free Vegan Cookout which he is also an Ambassador. You can find him on Instagram and Facebook.