Vegan Open Tart of Spring Greens and Leek Recipe
With this year’s BAFTA awards fast approaching, we are giving you a sneak peek at this year’s vegan menu.
Created by BAFTA executive chef, Anton Manganaro, this spring green tart served with caramelised cider and onion puree, roasted oyster mushroom, celeriac poached in kombu and a parsley relish is truly a work of art.
The recipe was first previewed at an exclusive S.Pellegrino x BAFTA dinner event where it was a huge success.
Furthermore, whether you’re looking for an at-home vegan dining experience like no other, or want to push your culinary skills to the next level, we’re on hand to help you recreate Chef Anton’s vegan masterpiece.
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 1 9 cm puff pastry discs
- 50 50 g Violife Greek White, diced small)
- Caramelised cider and onion puree
- 0.25 0.25 kg Sliced onions
- 1 1 Garlic cloves, pureed
- Sticks of fresh thyme
- 75 75 ml Soya cream
- 75 75 ml Dry cider
- 25 25 ml Olive oil
- Roasted King oyster mushrooms
- 0.5 0.5 King oyster mushrooms, trimmed and cleaned
- 20 20 ml Olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 Garlic clove, crushed
- 0.5 0.5 Sticks of rosemary
- 0.5 0.5 teaspoons Black garlic puree
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Celeriac poached in kombu stock
- 3 3 1.5 cm squares of celeriac
- 125 125 g water
- 2 2 g Kombu dashi powered Japanese soup seasoning
- Vegan Parsley pesto
- 50 50 g Fresh parsley, washed
- 100 100 ml Olive oil
- 37.5 37.5 g Toasted pine nuts
- 25 25 g Vegan parmesan
- 0.75 0.75 Twists of Black Pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Spring greens
- 2 2 Baby leeks
- 12.5 12.5 g Three-cornered leeks
Puff pastry discs
- You will need 4 9cm ready rolled out puff pastry discs.
- Lay the puff pastry discs out on a silicone lined tray, dock the discs all over with a fork.
- Lay another sheet of silicone paper on top and then a heavy tray
- Place into an oven at 190c for 20 minutes until golden brown
- Carefully remove from the oven and take the top tray off then using a pallet knife lift the discs of the tray and place them on a cooling rack.
- Blanch baby leeks in boiling salted water
- Once blanched, pat dry and char in a grill the cut leeks into 3
- Next, lightly blanch the Three-cornered leeks in boiling salted water
- Char leeks over hot coals or in grill
- Light blanch Kale in salted water, then refresh in ice water
- In a large flat pan heat 50ml of olive oil then add the baby leeks and heat through
- Add the 3 cornered leeks and kale, season lightly and keep warm
Caramelised cider and onion puree
- Place onions in a pan and sweat down with the olive oil add the garlic and season.
- Cook until onions are caramelised and dry.
- Add cider and thyme and cook until reduce for 5 mins.
- Add cream and reduce again
- Check to season and keep warm.
Roasted King oyster mushrooms
- Cut the oyster mushrooms in half, and score the cut side lightly with a sharp knife about 3mm deep.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan and add the oil.
- Add the mushrooms face down until lightly browned, add the garlic and rosemary and turn the mushrooms over, season and place in an oven 180c for 8 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the mushrooms on a small tray cut side up divide the black garlic puree between the four mushrooms and spread it all over. Keep warm.
Celeriac poached in kombu stock
- Bring the water the boil with the Kombu dashi seasoning
- Add the celeriac and poach very gently for 10mins until the celeriac is soft.
- Remove from the liquid and keep warm
Vegan Parsley pesto
- First, add parsley and olive, and gently blend
- Add all ingredients to the blender
- Pulse lightly and do not over blend the pine nuts
- Place a spoon of the onion puree to the left of the centre of the plate
- Place the pastry disc on top then add 2 more spoons of onion puree on top
- Carefully build a nest of the spring greens on the onion puree and add a couple of spoons of the Violife Greek White on top.
- Place the King oyster mushroom and 3 pieces of celeriac to the right of the discs and spoon the pesto around.