One-Pot Burrito Rice
Hate washing up? Us too! That’s why we love healthy vegan dinners like this vegan one-pot burrito rice recipe that can be made in one-pot.
It saves time in the kitchen and better yet, one-pot dishes like this burrito rice make great leftovers as they taste even better the next day.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
“When you want all the joy of a full Mexican spread, but just can’t even. This recipe is packed with all the flavours and textures we love about Mexican cuisine, without much effort at all” – Shannon Martinez
Packed will all of the best flavours from Mexican cuisine, this healthy one-pot burrito rice recipe is great for meal prepping.
Simply cook the onion and peppers over a high heat before adding in the TVP, spices, tomato, rice and beans. Next, pour over the stock and bring the dish to boil before you allow it to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
Once cooked, stir through the vegan cheese and allow it to melt in the heat of the dish to add a deliciously creamy, salty element to the recipe.
This is a great vegan recipe to share with friends as you can serve it with tortilla chips to scoop up the rice.
Better yet, this vegan dinner recipe will be on your table and ready to eat in under an hour!
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 brown onion, finely chopped
- 0.125 0.125 red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and diced
- 0.125 0.125 green capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and diced
- 0.75 0.75 garlic cloves, minced
- 112.5 112.5 g veggie mince or soaked textured vegetable protein
- 0.25 0.25 tsp chilli powder, to taste
- 0.5 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 0.125 0.125 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.25 0.25 tsp sweet paprika
- 0.25 0.25 tsp dried oregano
- 0.25 0.25 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 75 75 g long-grain rice
- 37.5 37.5 g frozen corn kernels
- 0.25 0.25 x 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 156.25 156.25 ml vegan beef stock
- 0.75 0.75 spring onions (scallions), sliced, plus extra to serve
- 62.5 62.5 g shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado
- To serve:
- Chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a wide shallow saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, capsicums and a big pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Next, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the mince or textured vegetable protein and fry, breaking it up into small bits if using veggie mince. Then add the ground spices and oregano and cook for 30 seconds, then stir through the diced tomatoes and cook over a medium–low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in the spiced tomato mixture, then add the corn and black beans.
- Pour over the stock and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook, covered, for 20–25 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the lid and stir through the spring onion and half the cheese. Shake the pan to even out the rice, then sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cover with the lid once again and leave for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Finish with the avocado, coriander and extra spring onion and serve with lime wedges. If you really want to go all out, add some corn chips and a drizzle of hot sauce.
Looking for more easy vegan dinner recipes with minimal washing up?
You’ll love these easy vegan one-pot recipes.
Find this delicious recipe and more in the Vegan with Bite cookbook by Shannon Martinez, published by Hardie Grant Books. Image credit: Nikki To and Hardie Grant.