If you’re feeling like a little comfort food, then look no further than these vegan mushroom sausage rolls. Packed with flavour, flaky on the outside with a gooey filling in the middle – you’ll surprise everyone with these vegan treats.
Vegan mushroom sausage rolls
Makes: Approx. 17-22 sausage rolls (depending on the size)
- 1 roll of puff pastry (Many of JusRol’s ready-made pastries are vegan-friendly)
- 1 small white onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of roughly chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of dried thyme
- 1 tbsp of dried sage
- ½ can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans
- ½ cup of drained and rinsed puy lentils
- ½ cup of potato starch
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for frying
- Optional: a handful of spinach
- In a large pan, sauté the onion, mushroom and garlic in olive oil over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add thyme, oregano, and sage and stir occasionally for another 3-4 minutes until the mixture is slightly brown and softened.
- Optional – Add the spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking until slightly wilted
- Add the pan mixture to a food processor, and add in the cannellini beans and lentils, sea salt, ground pepper, nutritional yeast, potato starch and Udo’s Choice Beyond Greens blend.
- Process until the mixture is fairly smooth, then remove it from the food processor and place it into a bowl. Cover it with a plate and place it in the fridge for about ½ hour until it reaches a more solid consistency.
- Dust your surface with some flour, and roll out the puff pastry. Cut out several long strips, around 4 cm wide, and then spread the mixture all the way along the pastry strips. Roll the strips until you have a typical sausage roll shape and then slice off before rolling again for the next one.
- Brush your “sausage rolls” with some olive oil, place them on a baking tray in the oven at 180c for 25 minutes until slightly golden brown and flaky.
- Tip: It’s best to serve them straight away whilst still warm!