Vegan Mozzarella & Cranberry Croquettes
These festive croquettes blend sweet and savoury flavours in a delicious cranberry and vegan mozzarella filling
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These festive little balls are filled with flavourful bursts of cranberry, which contrast beautifully with smooth, creamy vegan mozzarella.
With a crispy breadcrumb coating, these vegan mozzarella croquettes are a lovely starter when served on a bed of lettuce, or they make great finger food for a party platter.
Mozzarella and cranberry croquettes are filled with Christmassy flavours, but they’re delicious all year round – and even make a fresh and tasty addition to a picnic basket!
Which vegan mozzarella is best?
Years ago it seemed like a dream to have a choice of vegan cheeses, but these days it can be difficult to choose between them all. Thankfully, we can help you to choose the best vegan cheese for the job
For this vegan mozzarella croquette recipe, we would recommend using a high-quality vegan mozzarella that’s as close as possible to the ‘real thing’, such as MozzaRisella or I am Nut OK’s Bluffalo. However, most vegan mozzarellas, or even a similar, meltable vegan cheese would work just fine for this dish.
Be aware that if you opt for a pre-grated vegan cheese alternative, the overall finish of this recipe may be very different. Also, you won’t need to mash the mozzarella, but the balls may not stick together as easily due to the anti-stick coating on the shreds.
What are croquettes?
Croquettes are, at their basic level, deep fried, breaded rolls of food. The range of what can be in croquettes is very broad, but generally they do need to contain a thick, binding ingredient to keep the filling together. This could be a thick béchamel, mashed potatoes, or even bread. In this recipe, the vegan mozzarella is acting as the binder.
In terms of fillings, the sky’s the limit! croquettes can be made in many different flavours, but most fillings will be shredded or made into a paste to distribute evenly through the binder. A common type of croquette you are likely to have seen is the potato croquette, often filled with cheese, ham or both.
These vegan mozzarella croquettes are a delightful festive twist on this widespread recipe – and you won’t need to mash potatoes to make it!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 100 100 g vegan mozzarella
- 4 4 g fresh chives, chopped
- 12.5 12.5 g dried cranberries, chopped
- 0.125 0.125 tsp garlic powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 21.25 21.25 g cornflour
- 37.5 37.5 ml water
- 62.5 62.5 g dry breadcrumbs
- 125 125 ml neutral vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, mash the mozzarella, then stir in chives, cranberries and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Form mixture into small balls and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Spread bread crumbs on a plate. Dip a mozzarella ball in cornstarch mixture, then roll in bread crumbs. Repeat to create a very thick coating. Set aside. Coat all balls in the same way.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add 2 croquettes, ensuring that they are completely covered in oil, and cook until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer croquettes to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat with the remaining croquettes. Serve hot.
Looking for more festive food? Here’s our collection of the best vegan Christmas recipes!