Vegan Mexican Corn Salad
Serve up this spicy Mexican corn salad as a side dish to tacos or burritos!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This simple corn salad has all the flavour of the classic Mexican street food.
It’s full of fresh, crunchy vegetables and makes a great side dish to serve with tacos or burritos.
Chopped, fresh jalapeños add a fiery kick to this sweet and zesty salad!
Is this like Mexican street corn?
Grilled Mexican street corn (also known as elotes) is traditionally made with corn on the cob, which is charred on a grill and smothered in a spicy and creamy sauce made with sour cream, chilli, and garlic.
This Mexican corn salad is a little bit different (and much harder to eat with your hands!) but it still carries all the creamy, spicy flavour of the traditional street food staple.
What kind of chilli can I use in this salad?
We’ve recommended fresh jalapeños for this recipe, as they give an authentic flavour and add a good kick of spice.
You may prefer to use pickled jalapeños from a jar for convenience. If you do, the overall flavour may be slightly different, but it will still be delicious and as an added bonus, you’ll have a lot more control over the spice level.
This recipe would work well with other types of chilli too so if you like your food really spicy, feel free to experiment with stronger peppers for a more fiery salad.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 clove garlic, puréed
- 7.5 7.5 g jalapeños, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.125 0.125 tsp ground cumin
- 75 75 g frozen sweetcorn
- 0.25 0.25 red onion, finely diced
- 0.25 0.25 red pepper, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 50 50 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 0.75 0.75 tbsp soya yoghurt
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp lime juice
- 0.25 0.25 handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the garlic, jalapeños, smoked paprika and cumin and fry for 1-2 minutes. Then, add the sweetcorn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes and allow to cool.
- Add the cooked sweetcorn, red onion, pepper, spring onions, tomatoes, soya yoghurt, lime juice and coriander to a bowl and mix well until fully incorporated.
Nutritional information per serving (241g): Calories 101, Fat 4.5g, Saturates 0.6g, Carbohydrate 12g, Sugars 6.8g, Fibre 3g, Protein 4.2g, Salt 0.05g
Serve your Mexican Corn Salad on the side of these Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas!