This crisp parcel is packed with very good things indeed, like veggies, nuts, seeds, wine and even vegan cheese! Fabulously festive!
Vegan Wensleydale & cranberry filo pillow
By The Vegetarian Society (www.vegsoc.org)
Serves 2-4 | Prep 20 mins | Cook 30-35 mins | Calories 544 (per serving)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, sliced
- 150g (5½oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 50ml (1¾fl oz) vegan port or red wine (Check Barnviore to make sure yours is vegan-friendly)
- 25g (10oz) mixture of pumpkin and sunflower seeds, toasted
- 50g (1¾oz) walnuts, broken
- a handful of fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme, chopped
- salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 packet of vegan filo pastry (you will need to use 2 sheets for this recipe)
- 50g (1¾oz) vegan margarine, melted
- 200g (7oz) vegan Wensleydale cheese with cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4.
- Gently fry the onion until it softens, then add the mushrooms and pepper. Continue to fry for another
5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the port and cook until evaporated.
- Mix in the seeds, walnuts and herbs, then season to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with kitchen roll and allow to cool down.
- Fold out one filo pastry sheet onto a work surface and keep the rest under a damp tea towel to avoid drying out. Brush with margarine and layer with another sheet.
- Put the cool filling onto the pastry so it covers the middle third of the pastry, leaving a 6cm (2¼in) gap at the top and bottom. Crumble the cheese over the filling.
- Fold the top over the filling, followed by the bottom and sides. This should leave you with a nicely packed parcel shape. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until cooked.
This article contains affiliate links.