This tofu sandwich recipe is ideal for busy folks not only because it is easy to do, but you can also bake the tofu ahead to save time. Plus, you don’t need a lot of ingredients to pull this one off. The adobo sauce and mustard will add a spicy zest to the sandwich without necessarily making it too hot for sensitive palettes!
Tofu sandwich with veggies & adobo sauce
- 400g extra firm tofu (drained and rinsed)
- Eight slices of whole wheat bread (toasted)
- Four pieces of lettuce
- Two large tomatoes, sliced
- One half red cabbage, shredded
- 200g sliced mushrooms
- One large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp Adobo sauce
- 4 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- A small bunch of parsley or coriander
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Start by preheating the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Then get a baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.
- Mix the soy sauce, mustard and half teaspoon of the adobo sauce in a bowl.
- Slice the tofu crosswise so you would end up with 8 pieces about half an inch thick each. Then pat it dry with a paper towel. Place the tofu on the baking sheet. Spread half of the mustard mixture on the side of the tofu pieces using a spoon. Turn the slices over then spread the remaining mixture. Bake the tofu for about 20 minutes.
- While waiting for the tofu to get cooked, prepare a pan and add olive oil in. When oil is getting hot, add mushrooms, pepper, salt and parsley or coriander (optional) and then stir well, until mushrooms are turning gold brown
- Combine the remaining adobo sauce with the mayonnaise in a bowl. Spread the mixture on one side of the bread.
- Setting up the layers of the sandwiches with the red cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, tofu, mushroom, onion and lettuce again. Top with the remaining toast so you would end up with four sandwiches.
What are you waiting for? Try this vegan sandwich recipe now and give your kids a healthy and delicious snack. It can also serve as a light lunch for those busy days.