Katsu Curry with Breaded ‘Steak’ and Sauce
Just the traditional recipe, this vegan katsu curry recipe is warming, comforting and filling. Caramelising the onion, garlic and spices gives the sauce a slightly sweet, fruity flavour that pairs beautifully with the Sgaia smoked steak coated in crispy breadcrumbs.
- 2 2 Tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove, crushed
- A thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 2 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 300 300 ml veg stock
- 100 100 ml coconut milk
- 1 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 1 tsp granulated sugar, to taste
- 1 1 100g Sgaia Smoky Flavour Steak
- 1 1 flax egg
- Panko breadcrumbs
- To serve:
- Spring onions
- Chilli flakes
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onion, ginger and garlic in a pan until soft. Keep the pan on a medium heat and be careful not to burn anything!
- Add your turmeric and curry powder and stir in, cooking on medium heat for a few more minutes.
- Next add the flour and stir in, cooking for a few minutes to make something similar to a ‘roux’, which will make your sauce stay lovely and thick!
- Add the stock bit by bit, stirring as you go, followed by your coconut milk. Finish with your sugar and soy sauce to taste and simmer for 10 minutes. We then blended it quickly for a smoother sauce before putting it back on a low heat to keep warm.
- For your breadcrumbed steak, make a flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed, 3 tbsp water), and leave for 5-10 minutes for this to thicken and gel a little. Cover the steak in the flax egg mixture before covering well in panko golden breadcrumbs. Add a couple of tbsp of oil to a frying pan and heat on a medium-high temperature. Once hot, add the steak and fry for a few minutes on each side until golden and browned.
- Slice this into strips with a sharp knife and assemble your bowl by adding your rice, steak slices and then a generous amount of katsu curry sauce. Finish with spring onions and chilli flakes before tucking in!