This tart is the perfect main dish for any dinner party, family gathering and or picnic. It’s one of those dishes which normally get people saying: “I can’t believe it’s vegan!”
The crust is flaky and buttery and the filling has a very creamy, almost ricotta kind of texture – the tofu really works wonder in this dish!
Whilst delicious and indulgent tasting, this dish is still packed with gorgeous greens and slow roasted cherry tomatoes!
These are a really key ingredient in making this tart utterly scrumptious! With their natural sweetness they perfectly balance the earthiness of the kale.
To add an extra serving of goodness I have used Udo’s Choice Beyond Greens powder which is a blend of iron, Vitamin K & B12 rich organic barley, wheat and alfalfa grasses. – Happy Skin Kitchen
Vegan kale & slow roasted tomato tart
Recipe by Happy Skin Kitchen
- 64g oat flour
- 64g almond flour
- 1 & ½ tbsp chilled coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of cold water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 block of form tofu – approx. 280g
- 64g of destemmed + washed kale – you can add a bit more if you like greens
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 small white onion – finely sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- ½ tablespoon of Udo’s Choice Beyond Greens
- A generous handful of fresh basil – roughly chopped + extra for sprinkling on top
- 1 tbsp – almond milk
- 1 tbsp – olive oil
- 1 tbsp – dried mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat the oven at 150 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in halves, place them on a baking tray and drizzle some olive oil, and add a little salt and pepper. Let them slowly roast for 40-45 minutes until they look ‘squishy’ and then leave to one side.
- To make the crust, mix the oat flour, almond flour and salt in a bowl. Add the chilled coconut oil in little pieces and pinch with your hands whilst mixing it with the flour. Add the water and keep working the dough until you have a firm dough, and then place it in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes before greasing a tart case with some coconut oil.
- Press the dough into the case until it covers the base and the sides, then prick with a fork to prevent from puffing up during cooking. Place the tart in the oven at 180 degrees celcius and bake for 10-12 minutes until it starts to brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and once hot add in the sliced onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes until it starts to become translucent, then add the crushed garlic and cook for another minute, stirring to prevent burning. Remove the pan from the heat and leave it onto one side.
- For the filling place the tofu, kale, cooked onion and garlic, nutritional yeast, Udo’s Choice Beyond Greens, basil, almond milk, mixed herbs, salt and pepper into a food processor and pulse for few seconds until all the ingredients are well combined. Pour the filling into the tart case spread with a spatula until evenly filled. Place the tart back in the oven at the same temperature for another 20 minutes until the top feels solid and looks golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before adding the roasted cherry tomatoes and extra basil leaves. Serve whilst still warm or slightly cold and store any leftovers in an airtight container the fridge for 3-4 days.