Vegan Kale, Red Pepper and Sweet Potato Soup
This vegan kale, red pepper and sweet potato soup is jampacked with nutrients. Whip up a batch at the start of the week to have on hand whenever you need a speedy meal. It is hearty enough to have as a main meal to warm you up on cold nights.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Soup is a great meal to batch cook in order to set yourself up for the week with tasty and nutritious lunches that mean you don’t have to revert to supermarket sandwiches.
And this one is particularly good as it’s packed with superfoods including sweet potato and kale, plus lentils.
Otherwise known as leaf cabbage, kale is grown for its edible leaves. Curly kale is the most common variety, however you can get kale with smooth leaves.
You can buy it all year round, but it is in season from mid-September to late February.
Eat it within two or three days of buying as it gets bitter the longer it is left.
Sweet potatoes originate from Central and Southern America, and are a different shape and texture to potatoes most commonly found in the UK and Europe. Unlike white potatoes, they also count as one of your five-a-day.
They have orange flesh and a softer texture when compared to other varieties of potato.
Roast sweet potatoes to increase the sweetness. You can also make them into a tasty alternative to fries, chips or wedges.
Lentils are an edible pulse. They are very versatile in cooking and provide many dishes with a boost in protein as well as fibre content, and nutrients that are essential for prime body function.
Add lentils to soups or stews to thicken dishes, plus add some extra protein and fibre.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 0.125 0.125 large red pepper
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 onions, chopped
- 0.75 0.75 cloves garlic, chopped
- 0.125 0.125 large sweet potato, diced
- 0.25 0.25 large carrots, chopped
- 25 25 g dried red lentils
- 0.125 0.125 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 115 115 ml water
- 0.125 0.125 cube vegetable stock
- 0.125 0.125 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 0.25 0.25 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 0.25 0.25 bay leaves
- 84.375 84.375 g kale, trimmed
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium. Halve the red pepper and remove the seeds. Place under the grill, skin side up and cook until the flesh is soft and the skin is blistered and blackened. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions with a pinch of salt. Cook until beginning to soften before adding the garlic, sweet potato and carrots. Continue to cook, stirring, for a few more minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the kale, into the pan and mix to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the lentils and carrots are tender.
- Add the kale to the pan along with a little extra water, if a thinner soup is preferred. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve hot, with crusty bread for dipping.
Each 249g serving provides:
Fat 3.4g, Saturates 0.4g, Sugars 8.5g, Salt 0.97g
Need some meal prep inspiration? Check out these quick and easy one-pot vegan recipes!