Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
These chocolate flavoured vegan ice cream sandwiches are a great treat when served straight from the freezer on a hot afternoon.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
With no added sugar in the dough, the vegan cookies are not too sweet when you add the ice cream making them a great treat for both kids and grown-ups.
The dates add a natural sweetness to the vegan cookies, while the nut butter gives them a rich nutty flavour.
We used peanut butter to make these cookies, but you can you whatever nut butter you like. For example, hazelnut butter would work perfectly with the chocolate flavour.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes, plus freezing
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 9.5833333333333 9.5833333333333 grams rice flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4.1666666666667 4.1666666666667 grams cocoa powder
- 0.041666666666667 0.041666666666667 tsp baking powder pinch of salt
- 18.75 18.75 grams stoned, unwaxed dates, chopped 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 Tbsp nut butter, we used peanut butter
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp plant-based milk
- 14.583333333333 14.583333333333 ml vegan ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2. Cover a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Put the rice flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Place the dates in the bowl of a food processor with the vanilla extract, nut butter and 3 tablespoons of milk. Process to a creamy paste.
- Stir the date paste into the flour mixture and gradually add up to 3 more tablespoons of milk. Use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough that is soft but not sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and roll it to around 3 mm/1⁄8 inch thick. Use a 6-cm/2½-inch cookie cutter to cut out 24 cookies, re-rolling the dough trimmings as necessary.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes, or until turning golden at the edges. Leave to cool a little on the baking sheet, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are completely cool, take your ice cream out of the freezer and allow to defrost until it is just spoonable but not runny. Quickly sandwich two of the cookies together with 2–3 teaspoons of ice cream, then repeat to create 12 sandwiches in total. Return any unused ice cream to the freezer. Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet and freeze for at least an hour. Serve straight from the freezer.
Looking for a gluten-free and vegan cookie recipe?
You’ll love this vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe!