There’s no end to all the delicious things you can make with the juice of a can of chickpeas (aquafaba), but who knew you could make vegan ice cream out of chickpeas!?
Hummus Ice Cream
Recipe by Theo Michaels (www.theocooks.com)
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 60ml olive oil
- 185ml soy milk
- 90ml caster sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod (or few drops of vanilla essence)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Open tin of chickpeas and drain liquid from the tin – reserve the liquid.
- Add to the chickpeas the soy milk, vanilla seeds or essence and two thirds of the sugar (60ml), maple syrup and blend until smooth. Once done pass the mixture through a fine sieve and reserve.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the leftover chickpea liquid from the tin until you start to get soft peaks appearing (you want something resembling a meringue). Slowly add the remaining sugar and whisk until fully incorporated (a few drops of vanilla essence in the meringue is fine to do).
- Fold the chickpea puree into the meringue until fully incorporated.
- Place in an ice cream maker and let it stir until frozen and creamy. Alternatively, simply pop into a plastic container in your freezer and give it a firm stir every couple of hours until frozen.
- Try adding different flavours into the ice cream; a shot of espresso, some mashed raspberries or even swapping the soy milk for coconut cream.
- Try to use a light or fruity olive oil and avoid peppery ones unless you fancy that!
This article contains affiliate links.
About the author
Theo Michaels is a Masterchef semi-finalist, celebrity chef with regular appearances on This Morning and BBC Radio, private dining chef, restaurateur and author. He is known for creating elegant village food – inspired by his Greek heritage, as well as healthy, fast and innovative spins on classic family favourites. Please visit www.theocooks.com for more information about his books, recipes and cooking adventures (he’s currently on a tour of Thailand cooking for VIPs in the best resorts!). He has created this unique Hummus Ice Cream recipe in honour of International Hummus Day, this Saturday May 13th!