Vegan Harissa Mac & Cheese Recipe
This vegan harissa mac & cheese recipe is rich, creamy, spicy and tangy, just like a good pasta dish should be! Plus, with seven cloves of garlic and harissa included in the recipe – it’s jam-packed with flavour that take this comfort food favourite to the next level.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
After recent research revealed that vegan cheese has half the climate impact of dairy cheese, vegan cheese makers Violife are on a mission to get people to ditch dairy and give vegan cheese a try.
To give people some tasty inspiration, Violife has collaborated with MOB Kitchen to create this hot and spicy harissa mac & cheese.
Total Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1.75 1.75 cloves of garlic
- A large bunch of coriander
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp plain flour
- 0.25 0.25 litre oat milk
- 125 125 g macaroni
- 62.5 62.5 g Violife Epic Mature Cheddar flavour block
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp harissa paste
- 0.25 0.25 lemon
- 37.5 37.5 g breadcrumbs
- 12.5 12.5 g Violife Prosociano (substitute with your favourite vegan parmesan)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Finely chop 4 cloves of garlic and coriander.
- Add 50ml of vegetable oil to a pan and add in the flour. Cook on medium heat for 7-8 mins until it turns a dark golden brown. Then add in the garlic and cook for 3 mins.
- Then pour in the oat milk and keep mixing until you get a smooth consistency.
- Meanwhile, pop the macaroni in some boiling water and cook for 5 mins.
- Grate the Violife Epic Mature Cheddar flavour and add this to the pan and keep mixing until it’s smooth and melted.
- Add in the harissa paste, juice of a lemon and 1 tsp salt.
- Save 200ml of pasta water and add the macaroni to the baking dish.
- Add in 200ml of pasta water so it’s very loose. Transfer this to a baking dish
- Grate in the remaining garlic into a small bowl and add in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well and then add in the breadcrumbs, coriander and grated Violife Prosociano. Season well with salt and pepper
- Sprinkle this over your pasta and bake for 20 mins until golden and bubbling.
- Allow to cool for a few mins and then tuck in!
Got some leftover harissa that needs using up?
We’ve got just the recipe for you – a spiced cottage pie with sweet potato harissa mash!