Vegan Golden Flapjacks
This chewy Golden Flapjack is deliciously sweet and moreish. You can adapt the recipe by adding any optional extras you fancy, or just leave it plain. It’s delicious either way!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
With hearty oats baked in sweet golden syrup, flapjacks are the perfect easy-to-make treat. Enjoy as a quick breakfast or as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
You can make these vegan flapjacks as simple or as complex as you like with optional extras. Simply add about half a cup’s worth of your favourite add-ins. Almost anything will work as long as it’s small enough to stir evenly through the oat mixture before baking.
We’ve included measurements for some basic extras in the recipe below, but if you want something a little more extravagant, here are some ideas to inspire you:
Rocky Road Vegan Flapjacks: Add mini vegan marshmallows, chocolate chunks, and dried fruit like cranberries or raisins for a rocky road-inspired bar.
Bakewell Vegan Flapjacks: Enjoy the classic flavour of a vegan Bakewell tart in your flapjacks by adding flaked almonds and dried cherries to the mix. Drizzle with a thick water icing and top each slice with a glacé cherry for some real pizzaz.
Lemon Meringue Vegan Flapjacks: Add the zest of a lemon and a squeeze of juice to the flapjack mix, then sprinkle with crumbled aquafaba meringue straight after baking for this tart treat.
PB&J Vegan Flapjacks: Make flapjacks inspired by America’s favourite sweet sandwich by adding chopped peanuts and freeze-dried raspberries to your oats, then drizzle the finished flapjacks with melted peanut butter – yum!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the basic flapjack
- 31.25 31.25 g porridge oats
- 15.625 15.625 g dairy free butter, plus extra for greasing
- 15.625 15.625 g light brown sugar
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp golden syrup
- Optional Extras
- 10 10 g dried cranberries
- 10.625 10.625 g pumpkin seeds
- 5.625 5.625 g dessicated coconut
- 12.5 12.5 g dairy-free chocolate chips
- To Decorate
- 6.25 6.25 g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. To make the basic flapjack, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, melted butter, sugar and golden syrup. If you want the flapjack to be plain then move onto step 2. Or, add any of the optional extras to the basic flapjack mix at this point.
- Lightly grease a 20x20cm baking tin with the extra butter and spoon in the flapjack mixture. Press the mixture into the corners of the tin with the back of a spoon, so the mixture is flat.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Once the flapjack is fully cooled, drizzle over the melted chocolate, to decorate. Then slice the flapjack into rectangles/fingers and either serve immediately or store in a biscuit tin.
Nutritional values per plain golden flapjack (93g): Calories 434, Fat 23g, Saturates 8.2g, Carbohydrate 51g, Sugars 27g, Fibre 5g, Protein 7.8g, Salt 0.3g
Oats are a great way to start the day! Why not bake another breakfast treat with these vegan and gluten free blueberry oat muffins?