Vegan Gluten-Free Orange Olive Oil Cake Recipe
We love a moist cake recipe, and this gluten-free orange cake recipe made with olive oil is a knockout.
This densely delicious gluten-free cake is rich with Mediterranean flavours to bring some sunshine to your table whatever the time of year!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
The gluten-free orange cake recipe is also vegan, so can be enjoyed by those on a gluten-free or vegan diet.
The flavour of the extra virgin olive oil and orange work so well, and the addition of the pine nuts to this gluten-free cake recipe adds a toasted flavour that is heavenly.
The addition of pine nuts boosts your vitamin and mineral intake, as they’re rich in magnesium, iron, antioxidants, zinc, and protein, which support a healthy vegan diet.
For a quicker alternative to the orange slices, pour 2 tbsp vegan orange liqueur over the cake, allow it to cool and dust with vegan and gluten-free icing sugar.
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 4.5833333333333 4.5833333333333 grams pine nuts
- 14.583333333333 14.583333333333 grams gluten-free plain flour
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 tsp xanthan gum
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 4.5833333333333 4.5833333333333 grams ground almonds
- 18.75 18.75 grams caster sugar
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 zest and juice of unwaxed orange
- vegan and gluten-free egg replacer, equivalent to 4 eggs
- 7.5 7.5 ml almond milk
- 12.5 12.5 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 6.25 6.25 ml coconut oil
- Crystallised Orange Slices:
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 large unwaxed orange, scrubbed
- 8.3333333333333 8.3333333333333 grams granulated sugar
- 29.166666666667 29.166666666667 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23-cm/9-inch round, springform cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Put the pine nuts into a heavy-based saucepan and warm them gently over a low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula until they begin to turn golden. Tip them onto a plate and set aside.
- Sift the flour, xanthan gum and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the ground almonds, caster sugar and orange zest.
- Make up the egg replacer in a small bowl according to the packet instructions and beat it with a fork for a minute until bubbly.
- Add the almond milk, olive oil and coconut oil to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the egg replacer with a rubber spatula. Finally, stir in the orange juice and toasted pine nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Release the sides of the cake tin and transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the orange slices, cut the orange into circles around 5 mm/ ¼ inch thick and halve each circle. Put the sugar into a heavy-based saucepan with the water and bring to the boil, stirring frequently to ensure that the sugar is dissolved. Add the orange slices and simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes, turning the oranges occasionally, until the sugar water has reduced to a thin syrup. Reduce the heat and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, until the syrup is thick. Transfer the oranges to a wire rack to cool.
- Prick the cake with a skewer and slowly pour over the warm orange syrup. When the orange slices are cool, arrange them in a decorative pattern on top of the cake.
The gluten-free olive oil and orange cake should be stored in an airtight container and eaten within 5 days.
If you thought you needed eggs, dairy and gluten to make delicious bakes then think again!
Let us show you how to make easy and delicious vegan and gluten-free bakes.