Gluten Free Seeded Brown Bread
This vegan and gluten-free bread recipe is packed with pumpkin, sunflower and poppy seeds to support a healthy vegan diet. Our vegan and gluten-free seeded brown loaf will boost your intake of essential fats, vitamins, and minerals.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This vegan and gluten-free bread recipe is an easy, wholesome loaf, which is best eaten on the day it is made. It takes just 20 minutes to prepare, leave to rise, and a further 40-45 minutes to bake.
The vegan and gluten-free bread can be used in sandwiches, soups, or with your favourite spread for breakfast.
The seeds are a good source of protein and boost your daily intake of essential vitamins and minerals. Pumpkin seeds are high in omega 6, zinc, iron, phosphorus, manganese and magnesium, sunflower seeds are a good source of vitamin B, iron, and selenium, and poppy seeds are high in calcium and magnesium.
The combination of these seeds in your vegan gluten-free is ideal for boosting your intake of vitamins and minerals.
The vegan and gluten-free bread does not rise much at step 4, but giving the yeast some time to work does improve the texture and taste of the finished bread loaf.
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 450 450 grams gluten-free brown bread flour
- 0.5 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 2 tsp dried yeast
- 2 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- vegan and gluten-free egg replacer, equivalent to 2 eggs
- 350 350 ml gluten-free soya milk, plus extra for brushing
- 1 1 tsp gluten-free cider vinegar
- 90 90 ml rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- Put the flour, salt, yeast and sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir them together with a wooden spoon. Put the seeds into a small bowl, mix well and set aside 1 tablespoon to be used as the topping.
- Make up the egg replacer in a small bowl according to the packet instructions and beat it with a fork for a minute until bubbly. In a large measuring jug, mix the soya milk, vinegar, oil and egg replacer together.
- Add the seeds and wet ingredients to the flour. Mix well with a wooden spoon to form a sticky dough.
- Place the dough into an oiled 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin and use a spatula to push it into the corners and smooth the top. Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Brush the surface of the loaf with a little soya milk and scatter the reserved seed mixture over the top. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 40–45 minutes, or until browned and baked through. Leave to cool in the tin before turning out and slicing.
Do you love vegan baking but need to avoid gluten?
Then you’ll love these delicious vegan and gluten-free baking recipes!