The best way to start your day is with a hearty breakfast, and this vegan French toast with spiced plums is sure to get your day off to a flying start.
Vegan French toast with spiced plums
By Lucy Watson
Serves 2 | Prep 5 mins | Cook 10mins | Calories 865 (per serving)
- 200ml (7fl oz) almond milk
- 2 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 thick slices of day-old white bloomer bread, sliced about 2cm (¾in) thick
For the spiced plums:
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 6 large ripe plums, pitted and quartered
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Begin by pan-frying the plums. Put the butter and sugar in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. When it begins to bubble, put the plums into the pan. Sprinkle over the spices and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. The plums should be well coated with the glossy syrup. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the milk into a bowl and add the sugar, flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon and salt. Whisk well.
- Put a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Put the butter in the pan and wait until it begins to sizzle. Take each piece of bread and dip both sides into the milk mixture until soaked well.
- Add the soaked bread to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Put the plums back over the heat to warm through.
- Serve the plums on the bread, making sure to use up all the spiced buttery syrup.
Feed Me Vegan by Lucy Watson, published by Sphere, is available from Amazon (RRP £16.99.)