The addition of sweet potato and dates adds a deliciously sweet flavour to the complex blend of spices and veggies in this warming vegan tagine recipe.
Sweet potato, date & aubergine tagine
The addition of sweet potato and dates adds a deliciously sweet flavour to the complex blend of spices and ‘meaty’ texture of aubergine in this warming vegan tagine recipe.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 aubergines (cut into 2cm dice)
- 3 red onions (chopped)
- 1 tbsp vegan or vegetable bouillon powder
- 700 g sweet potatoes (cut into 2cm dice)
- 75 g dates (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout spice
- 400 g can chick peas in water (drained)
- ½ x 28g pack coriander (chopped)
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and gently fry the aubergines for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until starting to brown. Reserve 1 tbsp of the onions and add the remaining onions and oil to the pan. Fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Put the bouillon powder in a large jug and add 700ml boiling water. Pour all but 100ml into the pan and add the sweet potatoes, dates and ras el hanout. Cover and cook gently for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are very tender, stirring frequently.
- Blend the chick peas in a food processor with the reserved stock and onion until smooth. Season to taste and spoon into a serving dish. Stir the coriander and vinegar into the tagine, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Serve in bowls topped with the chick pea purée.
In need of more recipe inspiration? Check out these delicious vegan sweet potato recipes