Packed with the fresh tastes of Italian cuisine, this vegan spinach ricotta roll recipe is hearty and filling without the heaviness of a traditional lasagne dish.
Vegan spinach and cashew ‘ricotta’ rolls
Packed with the fresh tastes Italian cuisine, this vegan spinach ricotta roll recipe is hearty and filling without the heaviness of a traditional lasagne dish.
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 800 g passata
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- handful fresh basil leaves
For the filling:
- 400 g frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 1.5 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper (to taste)
For the rolls:
- 10 approx. spinach lasagne sheets
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/gas mark 6.
- Heat olive oil in pan over a low heat and add onion. Cook for ten minutes until soft then add garlic and cook for a further two minutes.
- Increase heat slightly and add tomato puree and balsamic vinegar. Sautee for one minute. Add passata and simmer for 15 mins until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper then take off heat and blend to creamy consistency with hand blender.
- Whilst sauce simmers make your cashew filling. Drain cashews and place all ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until a thick but smooth consistency. Season to taste then transfer to mixing bowl. Add defrosted spinach and grated nutmeg and mix together.
- Pour sauce into casserole dish. Add lasagne sheets to boiling water, taking care they don’t stick together and cook until the lasagne sheets are flexible.
- Lay the cooked lasagne sheets on a chopping board and spread a layer of the cashew spinach mix about 1cm thick. Score each sheet lengthwise into four strips. Roll each strip and place into the sauce mix.
- Cook for 30 mins or until sauce begins to bubble. Scatter over fresh basil and serve with green salad.