Baked squash with nutty mushroom stuffing
Let veggies be the star of the show this Christmas with this vegan baked squash with an irresistibly nutty mushroom stuffing.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Total Time: 3 hours
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 0.25 0.25 large butternut squash
- 0.25 0.25 large onion chopped
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- 0.25 0.25 red pepper (diced)
- 0.25 0.25 yellow pepper (diced)
- 62.5 62.5 g mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 0.5 0.5 big handfuls of spring greens
- 1.5 1.5 sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp pine nuts (toasted)
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp sunflower seeds (toasted)
- 22.5 22.5 g cooked chestnuts (chopped roughly)
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp tamari
- pinch of white pepper
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 0.25 0.25 tsp sea salt
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp maple syrup
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp fresh thyme
To make the stuffing:
- Add the onion and oil to a medium pan and fry gently on a low heat for around 10 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Next, add the peppers and mushrooms and cook off for 5-6 minutes until soft. Stir in the spring greens and sun-dried tomatoes. Turn off the heat when wilted.
- Toast the sunflower seeds and pine nuts in a dry pan until slightly golden. Add the sunflower seeds and pine nuts to a mini chopper. Pulse a few times.
- Add the seeds to the pan along with the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
To bake the squash:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Carefully cut the squash in half lengthways and remove the seeds.
- Scoop out the flesh in the middle to create a gully.
- Pack the stuffing into the gully then press the halves back together tightly. Secure with string.
- Wrap the squash in foil and place on a baking tray. Bake for 2 hours then open the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes until soft and cooked through.
Looking for more vegetarian roast recipes for your Christmas dinner?
Feast your eyes on these impressive vegan roast recipes!