Summer Green Palav
Vegetable palav is a spicy rice dish prepared by cooking rice with various vegetables and spices to create a flavourful and filling dish from simple ingredients.
Total Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
- 100 100 g Basmati Rice
- 0.2 0.2 Medium Onion (sliced) - red or brown
- 0.4 0.4 Pieces of Stem Ginger (chopped) - or powdered ginger
- 0.4 0.4 Dry Red Chilli’s (snipped) - or dried chilli, or chilli powder
- 0.05 0.05 Kernel of Fresh Coconut (sliced thinly) - or a small amount of coconut milk or coconut cream for the flavour
- 40 40 g Broad Beans - or any green veg available
- 0.1 0.1 Floret of Broccoli - or any green veg available
- 0.4 0.4 Handfuls of Kale - or any green veg available
- 0.2 0.2 Large Potato (diced) - any type available
- 20 20 g Peas - or sweetcorn, or any green vegetable
- 0.6 0.6 Tbsp Oil
- 0.2 0.2 tsp Salt
- 250 250 ml Water
- 0.2 0.2 tsp Black Mustard Seeds - optional
- 0.2 0.2 tsp Cumin Seeds - or ground cumin
- 0.1 0.1 tsp Turmeric Powder - or curry powder
- 0.1 0.1 tsp ground cinnamon
- To make stock for the rice, pour the water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add a little bit of salt and one by one blanch the vegetables until cooked to the bite, i.e. not fully cooked. (Lift off, each of the vegetables from the water as they are cooked into a strainer placed over a bowl and cool once done) Pour the drained water back into the pot.
- Measure the water and ensure that it is a litre. If, more reduce slightly, if less top up with more water, either way, make up one litre.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or casserole pan (with a fitting lid) and add the mustard seeds (if using) and the cinnamon. As soon as the mustard seeds crackle add the cumin, chilli, ginger & onion.
- As soon as the onions turn soft, add the coconut and the turmeric or curry powder and sauté. Now pour the vegetable stock or water into the pot and bring to the boil.
- Preheat your oven to 130c and place the rack on the middle shelf keep the top clear so as to hold the pot with a lid on.
- Once the water or stock comes to the boil check seasoning and add more salt if needed. Pour in a fifth of the rice and stir gently to prevent sticking. Repeat intermittently until all of the rice is combined and the water is nearly absorbed. Use a flat wooden spatula to prevent sticking at the bottom and scraping it clean with each stir.
- Add the vegetables, stir well and cover the pot and place in the oven.
- Oven cook for fifteen minutes before turning the oven off and leaving it in for a further ten to twelve minutes thereafter.