Seitan & Black Bean Chilli Nachos
This vegan nachos recipe is loaded with texture and flavour as it’s piled high with high-protein black bean chilli, vegan cheese and served with avocado.
The black bean chilli is made with seitan to give it a meaty texture you won’t believe is actually vegan.
The seitan and black bean chilli vegan nachos recipe is ideal for a quick and easy tasty vegan dinner when you’re not prepared to compromise on taste.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
A jar of seitan, a can of black beans and a can of tomatoes from the store cupboard are the base of this colourful, tasty and quick dinner that is packed with protein and interesting textures.
Seitan is regularly used as a vegan meat substitute. It’s made from wheat gluten, which is high in protein but low in carbohydrates and fat.
However, while seitan is high in protein, it does not contain enough lysine, which is an essential amino acid, to be considered a complete protein.
Beans are high in lysine, so this seitan and black bean chilli recipe has a good combination of seitan and beans for the perfect seitan recipe.
The seitan and black bean chilli is delicious served on top of vegan nachos and avocado.
This recipe keeps the avocado diced, but if you prefer a smoother texture, you can blend the avocado with the lime juice and add the onion, coriander and chilli (optional) afterwards.
If you’re feeling brave, you can also add jalapeño to your vegan nachos to give them a flavoursome kick.
Total Time: 35 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- For the bean chilli:
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 red onion, finely chopped
- 0.5 0.5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 0.125 0.125 tsp smoked hot paprika
- 0.125 0.125 tsp cinnamon
- 0.75 0.75 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 100 100 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 100 100 g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 100 100 g jar of seitan in soy sauce
- For the nacho toppings:
- 50 50 g corn tortilla chips
- 0.25 0.25 avocado, diced
- 0.125 0.125 unwaxed lime juiced
- 0.25 0.25 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 0.25 0.25 jalapeño chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- 21.25 21.25 g vegan cheese, coarsely grated or shaved
- To make the bean chilli, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, stirring until softened. Stir in the garlic, paprika, cinnamon and sugar and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in the tomatoes and black beans, then add the seitan pieces and liquid from the jar. Stir to combine, then bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the sauce has thickened.
- Divide half of the tortilla chips among four plates. Top with the bean chilli and then sprinkle over the remaining tortilla chips.
- Toss the avocado with the lime juice, then sprinkle the avocado over the tortilla chips with the red onion, coriander, chilli, if using, and the cheese. Serve immediately.
Want to make your own cheese for your vegan nachos??
Try this vegan nacho cheese recipe!