Pulled Seitan Vegan Pork with Pineapple Salsa
If you haven’t tried seitan before, you will be delighted with the texture and taste. Our pulled seitan vegan pork recipe uses this delicious meat substitute to create a vegan pulled pork recipe served with a salsa that vegans and non-vegans will enjoy.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Many people use seitan as a vegan meat substitute. Seitan is made from wheat gluten, which is high in protein but low in carbohydrates and fat.
It is available from health-food stores or Asian supermarkets, made with gluten protein, seitan has a texture that is similar to pork, so you will soon win over some of your sceptical meat-eating friends.
This recipe uses store-bought seitan, but you can also try making your own with our guide on how to make seitan.
We are serving vegan pulled pork with rice, avocado yoghurt and salsa for a satisfying vegan dinner. However, the pulled seitan vegan pork can easily be used to make a vegan pulled pork sandwich, topped with lettuce and some of the salsa and avocado yoghurt, for an equally tasty vegan lunch.
Our pulled seitan vegan pork recipe can be frozen, and you can put together some quick vegan meals with leftovers or planned batch cooking in the future.
Total Time: 40-45 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25-30mins
Total Time: 40-45 mins
- 56.25 56.25 grams long-grain brown rice
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 0.5 onions, thinly sliced
- 0.25 0.25 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 56.25 56.25 grams Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 0.25 0.25 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 0.25 0.25 tsp dried thyme
- 0.125 0.125 tsp cumin
- 0.125 0.125 tsp ginger
- 0.125 0.125 tsp allspice
- 37.5 37.5 grams passata
- 87.5 87.5 grams jar of seitan in soy sauce
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 1 tsp soft light brown sugar
- 0.25 0.25 large avocado, stoned, peeled and mashed
- 0.75 0.75 tbsp soya natural yogurt
- 37.5 37.5 grams fresh pineapple, diced
- 0.125 0.125 small red onion, finely chopped
- 0.25 0.25 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 0.75 0.75 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the rice and simmer for 25–30 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, stirring until just beginning to brown. Add the remaining oil, garlic and mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are just beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle over the paprika, thyme, cumin, ginger and allspice. Pour in the passata and the seitan and liquid from the jar. Add the vinegar and sugar. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the avocado with the yogurt until smooth, then spoon the mixture into a small bowl.
- To make the salsa, mix the pineapple, onion, chilli and coriander together in a bowl until well combined.
- Drain the rice, then spoon onto four serving plates. Spoon the pulled seitan on top of the rice, then add a generous spoonful of the avocado yogurt and some of the salsa. Serve immediately.
Looking to try seitan in more vegan dinner recipes?
Check out these 21 vegan seitan recipes even meat-eaters will love!