Jackfruit ‘Crab Cakes’ with Tartare Sauce
These pulled vegan jackfruit crab cakes are made with a delicious mix of Creole spices, smoked paprika, dulse flakes for a ‘fishy’ taste, and are coated in polenta for a crispy golden crumb.
Serve with homemade tartare sauce for a real crowd-pleasing meal.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Total Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 50 50 g celery
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp oil
- 60 60 g cherry tomatoes
- 0.5 0.5 lemon
- 0.5 0.5 roasted red pepper
- 0.5 0.5 shallot
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp dulse seaweed flakes
- 0.5 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 10 10 g capers
- 125 125 g jackfruit (drained)
- 1 1 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150 150 g sweet potato
- 20 20 g mixed salad leaves
- 2 2 Tbsp buckwheat flour
- 2 2 Tbsp dried polenta
- 40 40 ml coconut yoghurt
- Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6 and boil a kettle. Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potato into fries and place on a baking tray with 1 tsp oil and a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Place the jackfruit in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Boil for 10 mins, then drain and pull apart the chunks with two forks.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the celery, roasted red pepper and finely dice the shallot. Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- In a bowl, mix together the celery, roasted red pepper, shallot, Creole seasoning, smoked paprika, Dijon mustard, dulse seaweed flakes, buckwheat flour, 2/3 of the fresh parsley and the jackfruit. Season with sea salt and black pepper and form into 6 small patties around 1cm thick. Then coat lightly in the polenta. Heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the ‘crabcakes’ for 2-3 mins each side until golden.
- Meanwhile, to make the tartare sauce; finely chop the capers and place in a bowl with the coconut yoghurt, a squeeze of lemon juice (to taste), the remaining parsley and a pinch of sea salt.
- Make a quick dressing by mixing a squeeze of lemon juice with 1 tsp olive oil. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place into a bowl with the mixed leaves and the dressing.
- Place the jackfruit ‘crabcakes’ on two warm plates alongside the sweet potato fries, salad and tartare sauce.