These pulled vegan jackfruit ‘crab cake’ patties are made with a delicious mix of Creole spices, smoked paprika, dulse flakes for a ‘fishy’ taste, and are coated in polenta for a crispy golden crumb. Serve with homemade tartare sauce for a real crowd-pleasing meal.
Vegan jackfruit ‘crabcakes’ with tartare sauce
These pulled jackfruit patties are made with a delicious mix of Creole spices, smoked paprika, Cornish Seaweed Company dulse flakes, and coated in polenta for a golden crumb, alongside a homemade tartare sauce.
- 100 g celery
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 120 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp dulse seaweed flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 20 g capers
- 250 g jackfruit (drained)
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 300 g sweet potato
- 40 g mixed salad leaves
- 4 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 4 tbsp dried polenta
- 80 ml coconut yoghurt
- Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6 and boil a kettle. Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potato into fries and place on a baking tray with 1 tsp oil and a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Place the jackfruit in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Boil for 10 mins, then drain and pull apart the chunks with two forks.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the celery, roasted red pepper and finely dice the shallot. Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- In a bowl, mix together the celery, roasted red pepper, shallot, Creole seasoning, smoked paprika, Dijon mustard, dulse seaweed flakes, buckwheat flour, 2/3 of the fresh parsley and the jackfruit. Season with sea salt and black pepper and form into 6 small patties around 1cm thick. Then coat lightly in the polenta. Heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the ‘crabcakes’ for 2-3 mins each side until golden.
- Meanwhile, to make the tartare sauce; finely chop the capers and place in a bowl with the coconut yoghurt, a squeeze of lemon juice (to taste), the remaining parsley and a pinch of sea salt.
- Make a quick dressing by mixing a squeeze of lemon juice with 1 tsp olive oil. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place into a bowl with the mixed leaves and the dressing.
- Place the jackfruit ‘crabcakes’ on two warm plates alongside the sweet potato fries, salad and tartare sauce.