Costa Rican Coconut Adobo Sauce draws inspiration from Caribbean cuisine, where coconuts grow in abundance. The word adobo comes from Spain and refers to a marinade. With a generous, full-bodied texture and the sparkle of ginger and chilli, this Costa Rican cooking sauce is a great way of giving your vegetables a tropical twist! Serve with any Rice from Santa Maria’s Latin American Kitchen range.
Costa Rican coconut adobo
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 courgette, cubed
- 200g of firm tofu or Quorn vegan ‘chicken’ style pieces
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 sachet of Santa Maria Costa Rican Coconut Adobo Sauce
- Coconut shavings – to garnish
- Coriander – to garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Add the courgette and fry over medium heat until slightly browned (approx. 5 minutes).
- Reduce the heat, add the Quorn pieces and the tomatoes. Pour over the contents of the Costa Rican Coconut Adobo Sauce sachet and stir well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Garnish with coconut shavings and fresh coriander.
- Serve with Santa Maria microwaveable rice.
- Give your curry some additional crunch with a sprinkling of toasted almonds.
- Although we recommend combining this exotic sauce with tomatoes and courgette, feel free to explore and use with any of your favourite vegetables.