Crumbly, buttery vegan shortbread, topped with peanut butter caramel, peanuts and a thick layer of dark chocolate- what’s not to love about these delicious bars?
Vegan peanut butter caramel shortbread
By Alexander Willow-Harvey
Serves 10 | Prep 20 mins | Cook 40 mins |
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup of vegan margarine
- 1 tsp vanila extract
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 6-8 tbsps almond/soy milk
- 6 tbsps confectioners/icing sugar
- 1/3 cup skinned peanuts
- 1x 200g bar of quality vegan dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325f/160c.
- Mix the granulated sugar with the flour and rub in the margarine and vanilla with your fingers, until its evenly distributed throughout.
- Press the crumb mix into a 13″x 9″ baking tray and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the edges start to turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the peanut butter layer, cream the peanut butter with the vegan milk and vanilla extract. then cream in the confectioners sugar 1 tbsp at a time until you get a nice glossy caramel looking mixture.
- Spread over the cooled shortbread.
- Now for the final layer, melt the chocolate gently in the microwave for 30 seconds then give it a stir, repeat until fully melted, then spread on top and sprinkle with peanuts.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.